Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Heshan Suriyaarachchi <he...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/25 02:35:43 UTC

Airavata - Rave Gadget

Hi Devs,

I am an Apache Airavata committer and I developed a simple web application
that uses Airavata client API to demonstrate the use of Airavata API. I
prepared this for XSEDE12 conference and demoed it during the Airavata
tutorial. I just developed this in quick time, specifically for XSEDE12 and
there is room for improvement in this code base. I would like to see this
developing as a Rave gadget and I would like to contribute this code and
improve it. I would appreciate your ideas and feedback.

[1] -
https://ogce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ogce/gateway-staging/simplegrid-airavata-sample/

Heshan Suriyaarachchi

http://heshans.blogspot.com/

Re: Airavata - Rave Gadget

Posted by Heshan Suriyaarachchi <he...@gmail.com>.
I'm moving the Airavata demo webapp to the Airavata sandbox area [1] for
development.

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-587

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Heshan Suriyaarachchi <
heshan.suriyaarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marlon,
>
> Please see my inline comments.
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu> wrote:

>> We have a place in the SVN for demo gadgets:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/rave/trunk/rave-demo-gadgets/src/main/webapp/.
>>  Since these were prototype efforts, I suggest first cleaning them up and
>> then submitting them as a patch to https://reviews.apache.org/dashboard/.
>>  Note also these will probably need to point to a persistent version of the
>> Airavata services--the gadgets need to be able to work out of the box.
>>
> +1
>
> We already have an Airavata Server running on a publicly accessible
> machine. It's having some workflows in it. We used it for the XSEDE12 demo.
> We can use it for the gadget. I will clean up the code and submit it as a
> patch.
>

>> As a following step, it would be more interesting if you could tie these
>> to some social networking capabilities within Rave, such as the ability to
>> share workflows, results, etc.
>>
> I would like to look into this as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Heshan.
>

>> Marlon
>>

>> On 7/24/12 8:35 PM, Heshan Suriyaarachchi wrote:
>> > Hi Devs,
>> >
>> > I am an Apache Airavata committer and I developed a simple web
>> application
>> > that uses Airavata client API to demonstrate the use of Airavata API. I
>> > prepared this for XSEDE12 conference and demoed it during the Airavata
>> > tutorial. I just developed this in quick time, specifically for XSEDE12
>> and
>> > there is room for improvement in this code base. I would like to see
>> this
>> > developing as a Rave gadget and I would like to contribute this code and
>> > improve it. I would appreciate your ideas and feedback.
>> >
>> > [1] -
>> >
>> https://ogce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ogce/gateway-staging/simplegrid-airavata-sample/

> --
> Regards,
> Heshan Suriyaarachchi
>
> http://heshans.blogspot.com/

Heshan Suriyaarachchi

http://heshans.blogspot.com/

Re: Airavata - Rave Gadget

Posted by Heshan Suriyaarachchi <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marlon,

Re: Airavata - Rave Gadget

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
On Jul 25, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Marlon Pierce wrote:

> We have a place in the SVN for demo gadgets: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/rave/trunk/rave-demo-gadgets/src/main/webapp/.  Since these were prototype efforts, I suggest first cleaning them up and then submitting them as a patch to https://reviews.apache.org/dashboard/.  Note also these will probably need to point to a persistent version of the Airavata services--the gadgets need to be able to work out of the box.
>
> As a following step, it would be more interesting if you could tie these to some social networking capabilities within Rave, such as the ability to share workflows, results, etc.

+ 1 on taking advantage of social capabilities.

Great to see you take the initiative on this task Heshan, this hopefully will also wake me from hibernation on Rave.

Hi All,

Here is some context:

As our flag ship activity we support science gateway interfaces which are essentially web based portals. The portals use multiple gadgets for educational users, running analysis tasks, share data and so on. Airavata focuses on the back end API's to interface with data, resources and workflow management. WIthin Airavata we always envisioned there will be good number of gadgets to provide interfaces to browse applications, workflows, data, resources scheduling and so on. Also, there is a need for gadgets to register applications, execute the tasks and workflows on computational resources like high performance computing resources, amazon ec2 and potentially on map reduce and hadoop based resources.

Airavata back end is getting close to stability and now we are at a time to start focusing on the gadgets. These gadgets will be similar to rave-in-context, myExperiments like projects. There will be gadgets to interface with Airavata API but more importantly we anticipate to see community contribute and share specialized gadgets.

Cheers,
Suresh

Re: Airavata - Rave Gadget

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.