Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net> on 2018/10/31 10:20:00 UTC

Synonyms relationships

Hi

Does SolR provide a way to describe synonyms relationships such
"equivalent to" ,"narrower thant", "broader than" ?

It turns out both postgres and oracle do, but I can't find any related
information in the documentation.

This is useful to allow generalizing the terms of the research or not.

Thanks ,

--
nicolas

Re: Synonyms relationships

Posted by Doug Turnbull <dt...@opensourceconnections.com>.
Synonyms in Solr are really a kind of "programmers" tool, useful for
mapping terms to other terms. This need not correspond to linguistic
notions of a synonym or hypernomy/hyponomy.

That being said, there's probably half a dozen approaches for doing these
kinds of taxonomical relationships in Solr on top of synonyms

Here's some resources / techniques we use at OpenSource Connections for
clients
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90F30PS-884
https://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2017/11/21/solr-synonyms-mea-culpa/
https://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2016/12/23/elasticsearch-synonyms-patterns-taxonomies/

(last one is ES, but same ideas apply...)

Best,
-Doug

--
CTO, OpenSource Connections