Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Kogut <jm...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/03 22:02:47 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Cannot install Apache2. (From a beginner at programming and really confused...)

Well, running Apache in WinXP isn't as easy in say the OS of choice, (any
version of *nix), but I have recently devoted myself to contributing to the
WinXP aspect of the documentation so that it doesn't have to be so hard. To
answer you question, First, make sure your listen port is set to the default
of 80, if it isn't, you will have to add that port to your url. Also, just
putting localhost into your browser won't work, you need to specify that you
are connecting to a web site like so:

http:// [INSERT your ip or just localhost] : [Insert the port of your server
(normally 89)]

There should be no spaces, I just put those there to make it apparent that
there is a colon between the ip and the port.

--
|| jmkogut ||
email: jmkogut@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Cannot install Apache2. (From a beginner at programming and really confused...)

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.
>>  I was successfully able to install Apache 2.0.54, but
>> even if I enter 'localhost' into my browser window, the welcome page
>> won't appear. On my toolbar, it says that Apache is running so I don't
>> have a clue what is wrong. Will somebody please help me??
>> (My computer is running on Windows XP)

What port is Apache using? See the 'Port' directive in the httpd.conf.

Joost