Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/11/01 00:25:17 UTC

Re: Process for deciding on branding strategy for our first release

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>
>> wrote:

>> > My largest issue is basically the way is being handled this voting,
>> usually
>> > it seems that is not as easily traceable as a poll. Mailing list can
>> easily
>> > bury vote by just having chatty people or flamewars.
>> > I rather see the forum as a more dynamic way to reach consensus like they
>> > do with a voting poll separate from the overall discussion why is a good
>> > idea or not. Also I would miss the ability to change the voting in case
>> the
>> > voter realize that he has a change of heart. I do like the timeline.
>> > So I would propose a decision making framework to account vote, change
>> > votes, and easily browse/review overall group decisions.
>> >

>> The way an Apache project typically does this is via separate
>> [DISCUSSION] and [VOTE] threads.  So it would be clear which is which.
>>  And in the [VOTE] thread we would only count the last vote a person
>> makes, so they can change their vote freely.
>>
>> But I would only have a [VOTE] if after 2 weeks there was still no
>> consensus.
>>
>> Would that work?
>>

> not really

Could you explain your concern again?  Or make a counter-proposal?

-Rob

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> something

> >> usually
> >> easily
> they
> good
> case
> >> the
> >> >

> >> The way an Apache project typically does this is via separate
> >> [DISCUSSION] and [VOTE] threads.  So it would be clear which is which.
> >>  And in the [VOTE] thread we would only count the last vote a person
> >> makes, so they can change their vote freely.
> >>
> >> But I would only have a [VOTE] if after 2 weeks there was still no
> >> consensus.
> >>
> >> Would that work?
> >>

> > not really
> >

> Could you explain your concern again?  Or make a counter-proposal?

I believe I did already. Basically having a more automatized way of
accounting votes, review the discussions and come to a conclusion without
needing to weedout long discussions (maybe a voting on posts on relevance a
la slashdot).