Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Andryc <ka...@miser.umass.edu> on 2002/07/18 18:40:20 UTC

Apache 2.0.39 + Tomcat 4.0.4 (mod_jk2.dll) on Windows 2000

I can't seem to get them to work together. I have read archived posts but no
one has been able to answer how to exactly set them up to work properly. I
keep getting:

"Invalid command 'JkWorkersFile', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration"

Does anyone have any ideas or have some documentation. The documents on
http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/ do not cover the mod_jk2.dll binary with
the latest Apache.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Andryc
Web Systems Engineer
MISER
http://www.umass.edu/miser/
Phone: (413)-545-3460
kandryc@miser.umass.edu

Re[2]: Apache Authentication

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Kevin,

That's a question for the developers.  I don't think it is possible,
actually.  I think if you set your BASIC auth up in the web.xml and in
Apache, then you get the case where, when you go through Apache on
port 80, you get prompted for username/password by Apache and then
again by Tomcat.  However, in this setup, if you went to port 8080,
directly to Tomcat, then it would work fine.

So, you kind of need to make a choice as to whether to disable the
authentication set in web.xml and just use Apache or just let Apache
forward the request without asking for authentication and let Tomcat
deal with that.

It sure seems like a better solution ought to be possible.

Jake

Best regards,

Servlets using old classes

Posted by Kevin Andryc <ka...@miser.umass.edu>.
I updated a class file in my web application. The problem is that my servlet
that uses that class file isn't picking up the changes. It seems to be still
using the old class file. I restarted Tomcat, but when I access my servlet,
it still has signs that it is using the old class file. How is this so?
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Andryc
Web Systems Engineer
MISER
http://www.umass.edu/miser/
Phone: (413)-545-3460
kandryc@miser.umass.edu

Re[2]: Apache Authentication

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Kevin,

That is something that one of the Tomcat developers will need to
answer.  I haven't not successfully implemented any fallback...such as
when I access my contexts directly through port 8080 bypassing Apache.
I think if you add the necessary stuff in the web.xml to do BASIC
auth and then access via port 80 through Apache+mod_jk, you will be
prompted to log in there and then again in your app.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Jake

Monday, July 22, 2002, 1:11:15 PM, you wrote:

KA> OK,
KA>     So what if I want in one application to use Tomcat Authentication and in
KA> the other use Apache's Authentication. Is that possible??

KA> Thanks,
KA> Kevin

KA> Kevin Andryc
KA> Web Systems Engineer
KA> MISER
KA> http://www.umass.edu/miser/
KA> Phone: (413)-545-3460
KA> kandryc@miser.umass.edu

Best regards,

RE: Apache Authentication

Re: Apache Authentication

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Kevin,

You need to add tomcatAuthentication="false" to your jk connector
definition in server.xml.

               acceptCount="10" debug="0" tomcatAuthentication="false"/>

Note that tomcatAuthentication does not seem to be implemented
properly in Coyote.  For instace, the analog to the above connection
for Coyote would be the following which currently doesn't work
(getRemoteUser() returns null):

               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" tomcatAuthentication="false"
               protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"/>

Let me qualify that. It doesn't work when using mod_jk.  I haven't
gotten thing to work using mod_jk2, so it may work in that case, but
it should work in both.

To Tomcat Developers...

Is there another way that Coyote implemented to grab the auth info
from Apache?

Jake

Monday, July 22, 2002, 12:55:31 PM, you wrote:

KA> I just converted over from Tomcat 3.2.X to Tomcat 4.0.4 on Linux using
KA> Apache 1.3.26. In the Apache httpd.conf file, we have an Alias that points
KA> to a directory that uses Apache's authentication. In Tomcat 3.2.X, I used
KA> mod_jserv which integrated well and I could get the remote user and use
KA> Apache to authenticate. I was wondering how I could use mod_jk to do the
KA> same. Right now, when I do a getRemoteUser() it returns null.

KA> Thanks,
KA> Kevin

KA> Kevin Andryc
KA> Web Systems Engineer
KA> MISER
KA> http://www.umass.edu/miser/
KA> Phone: (413)-545-3460
KA> kandryc@miser.umass.edu

KA> --

Best regards,

Apache Authentication

Re: server.xml silly question

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Kevin Andryc wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:00:52 -0400
> From: Kevin Andryc <ka...@miser.umass.edu>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: server.xml silly question
>
> I am migrating from Tomcat 3.x to Tomcat 4.x and I have directories in
> different locations on the server. My question is, how do I configure
> server.xml so that I can add these directories. In server.xml, it has
> something like this:
>
> <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">
> </Host>
>
> Can I define another "localhost" but with a different "appBase" to point to
> my other directories? Something like:
>
> <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="/opt/dir1" unpackWARs="true">
> </Host>

Yes -- the value for appBase (on <Host>) or docBase (on <Context>) can be
absolute or relative.

You'll find a lot more information about configuration if you take a look
at the docs -- they are included in the Tomcat release
(http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/), or online:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/
  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/

The server configuration guide has detailed info about all the possible
settings.

> Thanks,
> Kevin

Craig

server.xml silly question

RE: Apache 2.0.39 + Tomcat 4.0.4 (mod_jk2.dll) on Windows 2000

Posted by Andrew Conrad <an...@msn.com>.
Yea, you don't need JkWorkersFile any longer for mod_jk2, or any of the
other JK* commands.

Check out this link:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg59593.html

- Andrew

Posted by Paul landolt <la...@royalsys.com>.
I've noticed that most of these Apache / Tomcat / Mod_jk2 instructions get one to
a point where

http://localhost/examples

will map to

http://localhost:8080/examples

And this is great, but what about introducing virtual hosts into the equation.

Currently, I use <VirtualHost> in apache (httpd) to direct hostnames to specific
directories. (I can merely use the machine name of my win2K box for this). How
does one configure Apache to direct a virtual host to a specific WebApp?

For example, the following workers2.properties entry:

    [uri:/ServerTest/*]
    alias=localhost
    info=default context
    context=/ServerTest
    debug=0

gets me to my ServerTest Web app from http://localhost/ServerTest,

but how can I:

1) configure a webapp for a differently named context: (ie,
http://localhost/examples --> http://localhost:8080/ServerTest
2) configure a webapp for the default context: (ie, http://localhost -->
http://localhost:8080/ServerTest
3) configure a webapp for a virtualhost: (ie, http://mymachine -->
http://localhost:8080/ServerTest

If someone could suggest configs for these, it would be great