Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de> on 2003/04/10 22:40:29 UTC

HelloWorld.class revisited

It seems to be well known that the Velocity Site Howto is wrong
(http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2.2.1/howto/velocity-site-howto.h
tml). After all, there are messages in the mail archives going back to June
2001 that talk about what package to put HelloWorld.class into, and how to
update module.packages in the TurbineResources.properties file. That leaves
the question, how could the documentation remain unchanged for nearly two
years? This list is so full of helpful people, and Turbine is clearly being
used, so I must assume that none of the people here have access to the
documentation, or it would surely have been updated. I'm picking on this
detail because even given the mail archive, it takes me 10-15 minutes
fiddling around with such an example before I determine that I've done
everything I was prompted to do, then it takes 10-30 minutes for me to
search the archive and reconstruct the conversations that took place. That
is 45 minutes in which one part of my brain constantly churns the questions
"Is this worth it? Would Cocoon be easier?". So WHY is it like this, and is
there anything I can do to help make it better?

-Robert Douglass

PS. The answer to the HelloWorld.class problem is this: change the package
declaration in your java file to anything.appname.modules.screens. Find the
module.packages property in the TurbineResources.properties file, and add
anything.appname.modules to the comma seperated list.

RE: HelloWorld.class revisited

Posted by Robert Douglass <r....@onlinehome.de>.
Wow, I'm speechless! I just made my first (extremely indirect) contribution
to open source! Thanks Quinton, I'll try to familiarize myself with Scarab.

-Robert

RE: HelloWorld.class revisited

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

Generally, it is discussed on the list but people forget about it after
the problem is solved.  The way to avoid this is to enter issues into
our issue tracking system when someone discovers a problem.

> Turbine is clearly being used, so I must assume that none of
> the people here have access to the documentation, or it would
> surely have been updated. I'm picking on this detail because
> even given the mail archive, it takes me 10-15 minutes
> fiddling around with such an example before I determine that
> I've done everything I was prompted to do, then it takes
> 10-30 minutes for me to search the archive and reconstruct
> the conversations that took place. That is 45 minutes in
> which one part of my brain constantly churns the questions
> "Is this worth it? Would Cocoon be easier?". So WHY is it
> like this, and is there anything I can do to help make it better?

Since you asked....   Anytime that you find a problem, please create an
issue in Scarab about it.  Even if you do find your solution in the
archives, creating an issue with the resolution will help us remember to
make whatever corrections are needed to keep the next person from having
to search the archives.

> -Robert Douglass
>
> PS. The answer to the HelloWorld.class problem is this:
> change the package declaration in your java file to
> anything.appname.modules.screens. Find the module.packages
> property in the TurbineResources.properties file, and add
> anything.appname.modules to the comma seperated list.

I have updated the docs accordingly.  If you don't mind, take a look and
make sure that I did not miss anything.