Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Rüdiger Schulz <ru...@googlemail.com> on 2007/10/19 01:58:29 UTC

New public Wicket based site online: www.indyphone.de

Hello everybody,

it is done - the side project I was working on for all these months
has finally reached the "public beta" stage

www.indyphone.de

What started as a simple PHP script evolved into a full Java web
application. On the way, several known-before techniques were tested
(JBoss, JSP, JSF, EJB3) and replaced by what was working a lot better:
the "WiSH come true" (Wicket, Spring, Hibernate) and lots of other OSS
stuff, with development on Jetty and hosting on Apache / Tomcat.

As this is the Wicket users list, I'll share with you some of the
reasons why we not only chose Wicket for our web-layer, but also loved
it all the way (in case you still need any):

* no XML-hell. I never liked Struts because of that. JSF was even worse.

* easy setup with quick development-round-trips.

* full object orientated programming: when I started learning Java all
those years ago, it was with Applets, AWT and Swing. So having a Link
with a onClick method, and adding components in a hierarchie felt
natural from the very beginning. I really had enough of low level
request parameter parsing.

* nicely integrated AJAX support: although we're not using that much
of it, it was all very easy to use. Replacing a Link with AjaxLink for
the first time was really cool.

* no special XML-like tags that no designer understands - just HTML
with some extra tags. That was a real productivity enhancement, as I
work with someone who does very little programming. We were using
Dreamweaver for offline prototyping, and to make it work with Wicket,
we more or less just had to add unobstrusive tags and attributes (I
already blogged about this).

* great community and support, as has been proved again just today.
Bugs sometimes get fixed withing the hour, and discussion on this list
is almost always very friendly and helpful. I cannot remember a single
question I had which was not answered until I had a solution - no
matter how strange.

So, thank you very, very much to all the Wicket developers for
creating such a great piece of software! The page would not have been
possible like this without it. I hope it will make its stand against
the so called industry giants.

And of course you're all invited to take a look at indyphone.de, which
will certainly keep on evolving - I just hope we found all the bugs
for now.

If you have any question about how this or that feature was done, feel
free to ask. I'm more than willing to share my knowledge and give
something back.

--
greetings from Berlin,

Rüdiger Schulz

www.2rue.de
www.indyphone.de - Coole Handy Logos einfach selber bauen

Re: New public Wicket based site online: www.indyphone.de

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
Your "reasons" closely reflect what we hear at our London Wicket User Group
events and from our more advanced Wicket students too. In particular, the
more experienced and worldly-wise the developer, the more appreciated the
quality of the mailing-list and especially the core-developers consistently
quick and helpful feedback are.
I expect that the next phases of your project, where extensibility,
scalability, maintainability will become more increasingly relevant, you
will benefit perhaps even more from having chosen Wicket.
I reckon your business idea looks pretty interesting too - hopefully it will
survive a bit longer than the infamous, original "boo.com" which was
actually a great idea (similarly dressing up models to "try on" an outfit
before buying it),  but way ahead of its time (and the speed of the 28k or
56k modems most people used at home back then ;-)
Nice Wicket site, all the best with it!
Regards - Cemal
http://jWeekend.co.uk jWeekend.co.uk