Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bezell <be...@gibraltarprivate.com> on 2007/06/05 17:14:32 UTC

Re: How to monitor Tomcat Server.

Nagios is overkill for one app, or even a small network.  I'd suggest other
OSS projects like monit or zenoss (full network monitoring).  I configured
Nagios for a small hosting group and loved what it could do, but no one on
the planet would say it is easy to set up if you've never done it before.

I've used monit for years.  Easy configuration.  EXTREMELY EASY.  Great
documentation.  It will email you status messages and restart the
service/process if desired.  It has a web interface.  It has a VERY small
footprint and uses almost no memory.  I've used it to monitor a buggy Tomcat
application before and I am using it now for a Resin app server ATM.  I am
configuring it today for a new Tomcat installation.

Zenoss is a full network monitoring system which may be overkill, but check
it out if you wish.