Posted to ftpserver-dev@incubator.apache.org by Mike McGonagle <mj...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/22 22:05:15 UTC

Initial Install on Mac OS X

Hello all,

Ok, it was about a year ago that I first came in contact with the
ftpserver program. It is only now that I am able to get things
moving...

I did the initial installation, and when I test it out, I am able to
connect to the ftp server from any machine within my local network.
(This is with using the default Properties files, with all of the
items commented out).

But, when I uncomment the first block of items (the server socket
factory configuration), the server will start up, but I am no longer
able to connect, as the connections are being refused.

I hate to say it, but the documentation on these settings is a little
thin, as to what data is expected to be entered here.

Is there some easy what to tell where all the parameters are defined
in the source code, so that one would read the source to try and
figure out what is expected for that parameter?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any examples to follow for the
listeners in the default parameter file.

Is it possible that these parameters have been changed, but the
default ftpd.properties file has not been updated to reflect this? It
appears that the docs refer to "config.listerers", while the default
properties file uses "config.socket-factory", as these things use the
same properties extensions.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Initial Install on Mac OS X

Posted by Mike McGonagle <mj...@gmail.com>.
On 5/23/07, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> Mike McGonagle wrote:
> > Al the files that I got off the Website (the precomiled stuff) is
> > dated April 25, 2006. Guess I need to learn to compile this myself,
> > right? Is this version the latest and "greatest"? Or should I be
> > looking at compiling myself?
>
> Yes, I would certainly recommend you to compile it yourself. You can
> find instructions here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/ftpserver/source.html
> http://incubator.apache.org/ftpserver/building.html

I did this, and have sent another email to the list about that experience...

> > Well, one thing that I would think might help would be a couple of
> > different examples of configurations. While I would think that they
> > wouldn't really differ all that much, it is frustrating to get it set
> > up, and have everything working (or at least you think it is working),
> > but no one is able to connect from outside of the router.
>

> Anything specific you've been trying to do that have been complex?

I am not trying to do anything special, just set up a generic FTP
server. Considering that I have only had access to the binary that is
on the Web, I will have to wait and see what happens once I get it
compiled from the source... (if you could look for the other email
about that, Niklas, it would be emensely helpful...)

Thanks again,

Mike M

Re: Initial Install on Mac OS X

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Mike McGonagle wrote:
> Al the files that I got off the Website (the precomiled stuff) is
> dated April 25, 2006. Guess I need to learn to compile this myself,
> right? Is this version the latest and "greatest"? Or should I be
> looking at compiling myself?

Yes, I would certainly recommend you to compile it yourself. You can
find instructions here:
http://incubator.apache.org/ftpserver/source.html
http://incubator.apache.org/ftpserver/building.html

> Well, one thing that I would think might help would be a couple of
> different examples of configurations. While I would think that they
> wouldn't really differ all that much, it is frustrating to get it set
> up, and have everything working (or at least you think it is working),
> but no one is able to connect from outside of the router.

Anything specific you've been trying to do that have been complex?

/niklas

Re: Initial Install on Mac OS X

Posted by Mike McGonagle <mj...@gmail.com>.
Hello Niklas,

On 5/23/07, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> > But, when I uncomment the first block of items (the server socket
> > factory configuration), the server will start up, but I am no longer
> > able to connect, as the connections are being refused.
>
> How old is the code you're using to build FtpServer? Or are you using
> the binaries that was created a few years back?

Al the files that I got off the Website (the precomiled stuff) is
dated April 25, 2006. Guess I need to learn to compile this myself,
right? Is this version the latest and "greatest"? Or should I be
looking at compiling myself?

Also, are people primarily using this as an "embedded" server? Or are
is it being used as a "stand-alone" server? (That is how I want to use
it...)

> Have a look at the new documentation. I agree it's definitely short, if
> there is anything in particular your missing I'll be happy to try fix it :-)
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ftpserver/listeners.html

Thanks, I will have a look at this.

> We should hopefully create a good enough documentation for you not to
> have to read the source code to get there. Still, if we're not you can
> probably find your way around based on the configuration names usually
> mapping to an interface (like config.listener to Listner) and then to
> one or more concrete implementations (like MinaListener). In the
> concrete classes you'll probably find what your looking for.

Well, I have begun the process of dissecting the code, if not to learn
more about how this works, but also to figure out what the parameters
are, and what is expected for data.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Hi Mike