Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/13 09:17:30 UTC

ServiceMix in Action

Hi,

I have been contacted by Manning to discuss the opportunity to write a book
about "ServiceMix in Action". Following the discussions that we have had
together, the general feeling is that a book is necessary Why :
1) Documentation on Apache Web Site is obsolete, not up to date,
2) ServiceMix4 gains more attention from architect, developers and Java
community in general,
3) This book can contribute to success of architecture designed around
modularity and including Enterprise features,
5) Publication of a ServiceMix book + Aries book (in discussion too) will be
a perfect match to present in more detail Servicemix, Karaf,
high-availability, management, security, deployment, design of solution with
Camel/CXF, jbi, blueprint, transaction ... Those two books will represent
the bricks for the architect in charge to design enterprise solutions for
OSGI world !

Remark :
1) To avoid confusion with the books in preparation, I have proposed to
change the name of the book of Alexandre de Castro Alves (
http://www.manning.com/alves/) which is not at all oriented to "OSGI
Enterprise" and to review the scope for the incoming book "Aries in action"
which is from my point of view more oriented to solve Enterprise issues and
because Aries implements OSGI EE.
2) I plan to write the proposal in the coming next days/weeks (if I find
time between my missions !)

If people are interested to write with me the book, please let me know ?
They will help me to correct my bad/poor English ;-)

Kind regards,

Charles Moulliard

Senior Enterprise Architect (J2EE, .NET, SOA)
Apache Camel - Karaf - ServiceMix Committer
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com |  Twitter :
http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard | Skype: cmoulliard

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Hi Charles,

If there is anything I could do to help, I would be more than happy to.

--
Ioannis D. Canellos

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Charles,

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Charles

Great that a book is being considered. I know you have been spending a
lot of time to get familiar with SMX and OSGi. So you are a perfect
candidate as a co-author for the book.

For the Apache, SMX and the community in general, such a book would be
much welcome.
So go for it, and I am sure some other SMX and OSGi experts wanna team
up and help writing the book.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been contacted by Manning to discuss the opportunity to write a book
> about "ServiceMix in Action". Following the discussions that we have had
> together, the general feeling is that a book is necessary Why :
> 1) Documentation on Apache Web Site is obsolete, not up to date,
> 2) ServiceMix4 gains more attention from architect, developers and Java
> community in general,
> 3) This book can contribute to success of architecture designed around
> modularity and including Enterprise features,
> 5) Publication of a ServiceMix book + Aries book (in discussion too) will be
> a perfect match to present in more detail Servicemix, Karaf,
> high-availability, management, security, deployment, design of solution with
> Camel/CXF, jbi, blueprint, transaction ... Those two books will represent
> the bricks for the architect in charge to design enterprise solutions for
> OSGI world !
>
> Remark :
> 1) To avoid confusion with the books in preparation, I have proposed to
> change the name of the book of Alexandre de Castro Alves (
> http://www.manning.com/alves/) which is not at all oriented to "OSGI
> Enterprise" and to review the scope for the incoming book "Aries in action"
> which is from my point of view more oriented to solve Enterprise issues and
> because Aries implements OSGI EE.
> 2) I plan to write the proposal in the coming next days/weeks (if I find
> time between my missions !)
>
> If people are interested to write with me the book, please let me know ?
> They will help me to correct my bad/poor English ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Charles Moulliard
>
> Senior Enterprise Architect (J2EE, .NET, SOA)
> Apache Camel - Karaf - ServiceMix Committer
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com |  Twitter :
> http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard | Skype: cmoulliard

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yay! Go Charles! :)

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:47 AM, Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been contacted by Manning to discuss the opportunity to write a book
> about "ServiceMix in Action". Following the discussions that we have had
> together, the general feeling is that a book is necessary Why :
> 1) Documentation on Apache Web Site is obsolete, not up to date,
> 2) ServiceMix4 gains more attention from architect, developers and Java
> community in general,
> 3) This book can contribute to success of architecture designed around
> modularity and including Enterprise features,
> 5) Publication of a ServiceMix book + Aries book (in discussion too) will
> be
> a perfect match to present in more detail Servicemix, Karaf,
> high-availability, management, security, deployment, design of solution
> with
> Camel/CXF, jbi, blueprint, transaction ... Those two books will represent
> the bricks for the architect in charge to design enterprise solutions for
> OSGI world !
>
> Remark :
> 1) To avoid confusion with the books in preparation, I have proposed to
> change the name of the book of Alexandre de Castro Alves (
> http://www.manning.com/alves/) which is not at all oriented to "OSGI
> Enterprise" and to review the scope for the incoming book "Aries in action"
> which is from my point of view more oriented to solve Enterprise issues and
> because Aries implements OSGI EE.
> 2) I plan to write the proposal in the coming next days/weeks (if I find
> time between my missions !)
>
> If people are interested to write with me the book, please let me know ?
> They will help me to correct my bad/poor English ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Charles Moulliard
>
> Senior Enterprise Architect (J2EE, .NET, SOA)
> Apache Camel - Karaf - ServiceMix Committer
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com |  Twitter :
> http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard | Skype: cmoulliard

--
Cheers,
Jon

Camel in Action: http://manning.com/ibsen
Blog: http://janstey.blogspot.com

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Geert Schuring <ge...@schuring.eu>.
Charles,

I would like to help you with the book. Let me know if I can be of any
help. Maybe by reviewing chapters, and commenting on them before
finalization?

Geert.

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Lars Heinemann <lh...@apache.org>.
I would like to help as well ;)

--
http://lhein.blogspot.com

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I'd be very happy to help too.

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yay! Go Charles! :)

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hey Charles!

That are really great news. I'm looking forward to buying one of the first
copies of both books. I have brought Camel in Action and Active MQ in Action
already and looking for a book about SMX 4 and Felix. Go for it!

Thanks for your work in advance,
Christian

On Aug 13, 2010 5:54 PM, "Corey Leong" <cl...@gr8c.org> wrote:

And I look forward to buying one of the first copies.

My current project uses Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, and ServiceMix for routing
real estate listings to and from our upcoming registrars.

I'll recommend it to all of our registrars as a must read.

Corey

--
Corey Leong
Executive Director

office: +1 (407) 584-7828
web:     http://gr8c.org
skype:   coreyleong, gr8consortium
email:   cleong@gr8c.org
twitter: @coreyleong, @gr8c
conference: http://realwebcon.org

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Mike Van <mv...@comcast.net>.
Charles,

Let me know if you need assistance. I've been playing whack-a-mole with
Hibernate/SpringDM/Karaf issues now for about 6 months, and have written a
bunch of documentation in-house for my developers.

v/r,

Mike Van

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Johan Edstrom <jo...@opennms.org>.
I'd love to help as well.

/je
On Aug 13, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Chris Custine wrote:

> Sounds great Charles.  I think the timing is perfect now that SMX 4 has
> stabilized a bit more over the last year.
>
> I would be happy to help out in any way, so feel free to contact me.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Custine
> FUSESource :: http://fusesource.com
> My Blog :: http://blog.organicelement.com
> Apache ServiceMix :: http://servicemix.apache.org
> Apache Felix :: http://felix.apache.org
>

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 01:17, Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been contacted by Manning to discuss the opportunity to write a book
>> about "ServiceMix in Action". Following the discussions that we have had
>> together, the general feeling is that a book is necessary Why :
>> 1) Documentation on Apache Web Site is obsolete, not up to date,
>> 2) ServiceMix4 gains more attention from architect, developers and Java
>> community in general,
>> 3) This book can contribute to success of architecture designed around
>> modularity and including Enterprise features,
>> 5) Publication of a ServiceMix book + Aries book (in discussion too) will
>> be
>> a perfect match to present in more detail Servicemix, Karaf,
>> high-availability, management, security, deployment, design of solution
>> with
>> Camel/CXF, jbi, blueprint, transaction ... Those two books will represent
>> the bricks for the architect in charge to design enterprise solutions for
>> OSGI world !
>>
>> Remark :
>> 1) To avoid confusion with the books in preparation, I have proposed to
>> change the name of the book of Alexandre de Castro Alves (
>> http://www.manning.com/alves/) which is not at all oriented to "OSGI
>> Enterprise" and to review the scope for the incoming book "Aries in action"
>> which is from my point of view more oriented to solve Enterprise issues and
>> because Aries implements OSGI EE.
>> 2) I plan to write the proposal in the coming next days/weeks (if I find
>> time between my missions !)
>>
>> If people are interested to write with me the book, please let me know ?
>> They will help me to correct my bad/poor English ;-)
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Charles Moulliard
>>
>> Senior Enterprise Architect (J2EE, .NET, SOA)
>> Apache Camel - Karaf - ServiceMix Committer
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com |  Twitter :
>> http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
>> Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard | Skype: cmoulliard

Johan Edstrom

joed@opennms.org

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Johan Edstrom <jo...@opennms.org>.
I'd love to help as well.

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Johan Edstrom <jo...@opennms.org>.
I'd love to help as well.

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yay! Go Charles! :)

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: ServiceMix in Action

Posted by Atit <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi Charles,

I am a solution architect and have been involved a lot in articulating
technical and business documents. I may not be able to evaluate the contents
technically but i think i can do a great job in ensuring that the content is
something the developer community can easilty assimilate. I would love to
get involved in this project.

Thanks
Atit
(atitsince82@yahoo.com)