Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/02 18:12:27 UTC

Anyone ready for 5.0.14?

Let's see what's in 5.0.14 currently:

Release Notes - Tapestry - Version 5.0.14

** Bug
    * [TAPESTRY-1997] - PersistentLocale is lower-casing locales
    * [TAPESTRY-2181] - The Component Parameters Report should
indicate if a component supports informal parameters
    * [TAPESTRY-2390] - Components or mixins requiring external
javascript files and rendered via AJAX do not work
    * [TAPESTRY-2448] - When a bean class inherits properties from a
base class, field annotations of the base class properties are not
visible
    * [TAPESTRY-2449] - Groovy can inject a base class into component
classes that Tapestry rejects
    * [TAPESTRY-2450] - Unlike reflective access (via
PropertyAdapter), PropertyConduit does not make field annotations
visible
    * [TAPESTRY-2454] - tapestry-hibernate transaction management
doesn't work as expected when commiting more than once on the same
request
    * [TAPESTRY-2459] - Submit components fires its event after
"validateform" event, should be before (this is a change from prior
releases)
    * [TAPESTRY-2460] - Nested BeanEditors (where the block parameter
for a property to one BeanEditor contains another BeanEditor) results
in a StackOverflowException
    * [TAPESTRY-2468] - A deadlock related to class loading (and
creation) can occur
    * [TAPESTRY-2471] - Parameter fields that are updated during
component event processing (such as a form submit) may not clear their
values at the end of the request
    * [TAPESTRY-2473] - Application locks up, with all threads waiting
for read lock inside ConcurrentBarrier
    * [TAPESTRY-2476] - Unhelpful exception messages when a null value
is bound to a required parameter
    * [TAPESTRY-2478] - Non-private fields in Tapestry component
classes should fail early, instead get confusing
javassist.bytecode.DuplicateMemberException
    * [TAPESTRY-2481] - ClassTransformation acts as if all type-level
annotations are inherited; it should filter out non-inherited
annotations
    * [TAPESTRY-2483] - The '%' symbol passed to
RenderSupport.addScript() is treated as a formatting directive,
causing errors
    * [TAPESTRY-2484] - Some built-in Tapestry components are final
and should be extensible
    * [TAPESTRY-2490] - Palette component forces an unwanted form
submit under FireFox 3

** Improvement
    * [TAPESTRY-2404] - PropertyConduitSource could build a shared
method to "navigate" to the final property
    * [TAPESTRY-2469] - Update Selenium dependency to the current
version, 1.0-beta-1
    * [TAPESTRY-2479] - Upgrade to SLF4J version 1.5.2 (supports older
versions of Log4J better)

** New Feature
    * [TAPESTRY-2235] - Annotation for managing a property as the page
activation context
    * [TAPESTRY-2475] - Add an implementation of GridDataSource that
can be used to optimize Hibernate queries

I think this could be a release candidate ... there's a few minor
issues that could be addressed and a few more worrysome things (such
as DateField not being localizable) that should go into GA but may
have to wait for 5.1.

I hate to be a nag, but I haven't been seeing a lot of commit activity
from everyone else. That's very troublesome, and I'm concerned it
reflects on my management style of the project.  If you have any
criticism, feel free to respond here or privately to me.  I won't be
offended --- I already recognize that project management is by far my
weakest skill!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
Ditto.  Localization issues have received more votes than almost any
other issue in JIRA.  To go GA without fixing them would be a big step
backwards and, I think, an embarrassment.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2198
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2304
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2457

Cheers,

Geoff

Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?

Posted by Kristian Marinkovic <kr...@porsche.co.at>.
hi howard,

issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2460 is not resolved.

i've testes it with the latest tapestry version from the trunk with no
luck (using
the attached tapestry/maven project)... therefore i reopened it.

if i had a vote i'd say: -1

g,
kris

"Jesse Kuhnert" <jk...@gmail.com>
03.07.2008 05:09
Bitte antworten an
"Tapestry development" <de...@tapestry.apache.org>

An
"Tapestry development" <de...@tapestry.apache.org>
Kopie

Thema
Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?

I'm not sure what words of wisdom I could share but I do sort of see
both sides of this,

I think my best experience with a similar situation was when I spent a
few weeks mulling over
some ideas for some jini stuff and shared them with what is probably
my first big software mentor
and was told that "I'm free to implement them,  just don't get mad if
you have to throw it all out".

I didn't have to throw ~all~ of it out,  but I certainly was corrected
in a number of things.

At the end of the day,  despite his project management warts and all
the typical framework
competitive posturing bullshit that everyone goes through - Howard
really is one of the most
gifted software designers I've had the pleasure to work with.  So,  be
prepared to be
shot down but also know that the knowledge you gain from the
explanations of why what you are doing
won't work isn't something you are very likely to come across in your
day to day development activities.

You won't find many opportunities to flex these kinds of designs
muscles that will impact more than
a couple people on your development group for however long the product
incarnation you are working
on lasts.  This stuff lasts much longer and has a much bigger impact
on people and your general understanding
of how/why API development works.  Start small and work your way out.
There's nothing lost in being wrong,  just
in not learning something new.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Its a problem for me.  If Tapestry were a project at Formos, not at
> Apache, I would have a team, we would agree on dates and deliverables,
> etc.  People would be responsible for what they are assigned, or take
> on.
>
> What pains me is that many people have ideas about what needs to be
> done, sometimes very vocal ideas, but that's as far as it goes.
>
> The structure of the code (components and IoC services) should make it
> reasonable for people to "set up shop" in a specific area, as you
> describe.  It just isn't happening.
>
> For every trivial bug that I end up fixing, it's one less critical bug
> I can take on.  And when, like now, I'm client focused (preparing for
> several days of training), not much is going to happen.
>

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Ben Dotte <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps I am just naive to the way open source software is supposed to
>> be written, but it has always struck me as odd that particular areas
>> of the framework aren't divvied out to specific committers, or maybe
>> even groups of committers, to work on. I like to feel responsible for
>> a particular segment of a codebase, it encourages me to fix bugs in
>> that area and I feel like I have some level of control over the
>> general design of that area.
>>
>> I'm not saying I in particular want to be assigned an area--a new baby
>> and my job keep me plenty busy these days :) Not much time for
>> Tapestry, unfortunately.
>>
>> Something like that probably really needs to happen earlier in the
>> project though, when there is still enough of the core architecture
>> available to be designed.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.. I'm not trying to be critical of Tapestry, it is and
>> has been a wonderful framework. But I think it is something worth
>> discussing if you are wondering why people aren't as interested in
>> contributing as you would like.
>>
>> "I hate to be a nag, but I haven't been seeing a lot of commit activity
>> from everyone else. That's very troublesome, and I'm concerned it
>> reflects on my management style of the project.  If you have any
>> criticism, feel free to respond here or privately to me.  I won't be
>> offended --- I already recognize that project management is by far my
>> weakest skill!"

> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry / OGNL / Dojo team member/developer

Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Its a problem for me.  If Tapestry were a project at Formos, not at
Apache, I would have a team, we would agree on dates and deliverables,
etc.  People would be responsible for what they are assigned, or take
on.

What pains me is that many people have ideas about what needs to be
done, sometimes very vocal ideas, but that's as far as it goes.

The structure of the code (components and IoC services) should make it
reasonable for people to "set up shop" in a specific area, as you
describe.  It just isn't happening.

For every trivial bug that I end up fixing, it's one less critical bug
I can take on.  And when, like now, I'm client focused (preparing for
several days of training), not much is going to happen.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Ben Dotte <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps I am just naive to the way open source software is supposed to
> be written, but it has always struck me as odd that particular areas
> of the framework aren't divvied out to specific committers, or maybe
> even groups of committers, to work on. I like to feel responsible for
> a particular segment of a codebase, it encourages me to fix bugs in
> that area and I feel like I have some level of control over the
> general design of that area.
>
> I'm not saying I in particular want to be assigned an area--a new baby
> and my job keep me plenty busy these days :) Not much time for
> Tapestry, unfortunately.
>
> Something like that probably really needs to happen earlier in the
> project though, when there is still enough of the core architecture
> available to be designed.
>
> Just my 2 cents.. I'm not trying to be critical of Tapestry, it is and
> has been a wonderful framework. But I think it is something worth
> discussing if you are wondering why people aren't as interested in
> contributing as you would like.
>
> "I hate to be a nag, but I haven't been seeing a lot of commit activity
> from everyone else. That's very troublesome, and I'm concerned it
> reflects on my management style of the project.  If you have any
> criticism, feel free to respond here or privately to me.  I won't be
> offended --- I already recognize that project management is by far my
> weakest skill!"

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?

Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?