Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Duane Douglas <dd...@mindspring.com> on 2001/05/23 23:48:53 UTC

linux/tomcat woes

hi gang!

i'm a linux newbie, so please bear with me.  i'm running red hat linux
6.2.  i installed apache 1.3.19 and tested it, so i know that its working.
tomcat 3.2.1 is giving me problems.  i java 2se 1.3.1 (and tested it, so i
know it's working).  i then un-tarred the tomcat tarball and set the
environment variables from bash as follows:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1
export TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/local/tomcat

i then typed in the following (from bash) from the tomcat/bin directory:
./startup
some messages appeared on the screen, then bash appeared to hang (it didn't
return to the prompt after a few minutes).  i didn't get a tomcat.log file
so i can't figure out what went wrong.  can someone please help me
troubleshoot this madness?

tia

if (duane.douglas) { coder = asp * cold fusion * xml * sql server * javascript }