Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/20 19:06:27 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Updated Distribution FAQ

I am using "lazy consensus" to put out an updated copy of:

http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

A draft is here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/*DRAFT*+Distribution+FAQ

Is this adequate for replacing the placeholder page?

Also, assuming that the current
http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

is replaced, would it be a good idea to put the "Distribution" link back on
the
main download page?

MzK

"Known commonly as the jackass, this long-eared little creature
is respected throughout the southwest—roundly cursed
yet respected—and here he is usually referred to by his
Spanish name, burro. Because of his extraordinary bray,
he is sometimes ironically called the "Arizona Nightingale."

                     -- "Arizona, the Grand Canyon State: A State Guide",
                              By Federal Writers' Project

Re: [PROPOSAL] Updated Distribution FAQ

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> On 2012-06-20, at 13:06 , Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > I am using "lazy consensus" to put out an updated copy of:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/
> >
> > A draft is here:
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/*DRAFT*+Distribution+FAQ
> >
> > Is this adequate for replacing the placeholder page?
> >
> > Also, assuming that the current
> > http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/
> >
> > is replaced, would it be a good idea to put the "Distribution" link back
> on
> > the
> > main download page?
>
> yes. But "distribution" is a little vague. Initially, I'd called it,
> "Community Distribution." Equally vague?

well...maybe more vague...might people wonder WHAT community? Does this
apply to me? I wouldn't know how to interpret that.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am using "lazy consensus" to put out an updated copy of:
>> >
>> > http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/
>> >
>> > A draft is here:
>> >

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/*DRAFT*+Distribution+FAQ
>> >
>> > Is this adequate for replacing the placeholder page?
>> >

>> Overall, this is good.  But I do have a two questions:
>>
>> 1).  Do we want to encourage people to distribute older versions of
>> OOo 3.3 or use the older logos?  Or should we only talk about how to
>> distribute AOO?
>>

> I don't think we want to encourage it, but I think it should be covered
> that's why I included this other information.
>

>> 2)  On the "Can I distribute OpenOffice on a CD or my website and call
>> it something else?" -- Has this question really ever come up?
>

> well...maybe not. But, I didn't think it would hurt...somehow people think
> anything "free" is "freeware" and we might find OpenOffice masquerading as
> "Aunt Sally's Super Duper Office Suite" .
>

>>    I am
>> not sure that it is actually forbidden to do this, but I wonder if
>> could just not mention this weird case at all.  What is more
>> interesting is whether some one can distribute a modified version of
>> OpenOffice and still call it OpenOffice.
>>
>  What is the PortableApps
>> case, etc.  That requires explicit permission from Apache.
>>

> hmmm...there isn't anything in ALv2 that covers this near as I can tell.
> Maybe we should suggest a change in the "4. Redistribution" section for
> additional emphasis. But the name business IS mentioned in the "6.
> Trademarks".
>
> So, OK, I will add this as it probably does require attention.
>

>> -Rob
>>

>> > Also, assuming that the current
>> > http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/
>> >
>> > is replaced, would it be a good idea to put the "Distribution" link
>> back on
>> > the
>> > main download page?
>> >
>> > --

>> > MzK
>> >
>> > "Known commonly as the jackass, this long-eared little creature
>> > is respected throughout the southwest—roundly cursed
>> > yet respected—and here he is usually referred to by his
>> > Spanish name, burro. Because of his extraordinary bray,
>> > he is sometimes ironically called the "Arizona Nightingale."
>> >
>> >                     -- "Arizona, the Grand Canyon State: A State Guide",
>> >                              By Federal Writers' Project

> MzK
>
> "Known commonly as the jackass, this long-eared little creature
> is respected throughout the southwest—roundly cursed
> yet respected—and here he is usually referred to by his
> Spanish name, burro. Because of his extraordinary bray,
> he is sometimes ironically called the "Arizona Nightingale."
>
>                      -- "Arizona, the Grand Canyon State: A State Guide",
>                               By Federal Writers' Project

OK, I just posted some further revisions based on these comments.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using "lazy consensus" to put out an updated copy of:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/
>
> A draft is here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/*DRAFT*+Distribution+FAQ
>
> Is this adequate for replacing the placeholder page?

Overall, this is good.  But I do have a two questions:

1).  Do we want to encourage people to distribute older versions of
OOo 3.3 or use the older logos?  Or should we only talk about how to
distribute AOO?

2)  On the "Can I distribute OpenOffice on a CD or my website and call
it something else?" -- Has this question really ever come up?    I am