Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Adam Crain <ad...@plymouthsystems.com> on 2010/03/16 05:21:25 UTC

java amqp api vs. jms api

This is a generic question for the qpid development folks...

There seems to be two APIs available for java clients: direct amqp api
and a JMS api

However, only the JMS api is touted on the website.  Why is the direct
amqp api so underdocumented as compared to JMS? They only way one can
really figure out how to use it is to look the amqp examples in:

qpid/java/client/example/src/main/java/org/apache/qpid/example/amqpexamp
le/

I can only assume that the JMS api is a wrapper around the core amqp
library itself (i.e. a mapping only)

JMS adds a lot of conceptual overhead that takes you further away from
the amqp model... Will the direct amqp library always be supported / are
there plans to provide better documentation for the direct API?

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Crain

Manager of R&D

Plymouth Systems, Inc.

919-428-1002

Re: java amqp api vs. jms api

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

We only support the JMS API for reasons outlined by William.
Those examples are written against a bunch of classes that are subject
to change without notice.
You could easily cover most use cases with the JMS API + configuration.

If you have any concerns about how to support a particular use case,
please feel free to contact us on the user list.

Regards,

Rajith

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Adam Crain
<ad...@plymouthsystems.com> wrote:
> This is a generic question for the qpid development folks...
>

> There seems to be two APIs available for java clients: direct amqp api
> and a JMS api
>

> However, only the JMS api is touted on the website.  Why is the direct
> amqp api so underdocumented as compared to JMS? They only way one can
> really figure out how to use it is to look the amqp examples in:
>

> qpid/java/client/example/src/main/java/org/apache/qpid/example/amqpexamp
> le/
>

> I can only assume that the JMS api is a wrapper around the core amqp
> library itself (i.e. a mapping only)
>

> JMS adds a lot of conceptual overhead that takes you further away from
> the amqp model... Will the direct amqp library always be supported / are
> there plans to provide better documentation for the direct API?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Adam
>

> Adam Crain
>
> Manager of R&D