Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Amit Paradkar <pa...@us.ibm.com> on 2018/08/06 13:38:07 UTC

Newbie question on reinitializing an AnalysisEngine in a composite pipeline

I tried to dig around in the UIMA docs, but could not find the answer in
obvious place.

We have a composite descriptor as below that I initialize using
                AnalysisEngine ae = UIMAFramework.produceAnalysisEngine(
tokenizerAeDes);

the RegExConceptMapper in turn is another composite which has couple of
ConceptMapper dictionaries. We use two dictionaries, because, one is more
transient in nature than the other (entries in it need to be updated on a
daily basis). In order to update the more transient dictionary content, I
would like to issue a reconfigure () call on just the relevant
analysisEngine and not the entire pipeline if that is possible.

(I know I can always do ae.reconfigure() which will destroy and
re-initialize the entire pipeline). I was wondering if there is a way to
call reconfigure() only on one of the analysis engines in the composite.

(I tried to dig into the ResultMetaData class that is returned as a call
to aae.getAnalysisEngineMetaData();, but could not see how to make
progress).

Will appreciate any pointers. Thanks in advance.

        <delegateAnalysisEngineSpecifiers>

                <delegateAnalysisEngine key="InstanceMatcher">
                        <import name=ConceptMapperTerms"/>
                </delegateAnalysisEngine>

                <delegateAnalysisEngine key="TypeMatcher">
                        <import name="ConceptMapperTypes"/>
                </delegateAnalysisEngine>

                <delegateAnalysisEngine key="RegExMatcher">
                        <import name="RegExAnnotator"/>
                </delegateAnalysisEngine>

    </delegateAnalysisEngine>

  </delegateAnalysisEngineSpecifiers>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<analysisEngineDescription xmlns="http://uima.apache.org/resourceSpecifier
">
  <frameworkImplementation>org.apache.uima.java</frameworkImplementation>
  <primitive>false</primitive>
  <delegateAnalysisEngineSpecifiers>
    <delegateAnalysisEngine key="RegExConceptMapper">
      <import name=
"com.ibm.watson.itsm.analysis_engine.aggregate.ITSMInstanceRegExConceptMapper"
/>

...other engines

  </delegateAnalysisEngineSpecifiers>

-Amit Paradkar
Distinguished Research Staff Member, Cognitive Service Foundations
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
914 945 1141
paradkar@us.ibm.com