Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Srinims <sr...@aztec.soft.net> on 2006/08/03 12:33:23 UTC

Constant Throughput Timer

Hi Sebb/Peter ,

Please clarify the significance of using a constant throughput timer .
Now consider the following case:

No of threads : -100
Ramp Up time -10 secs

In this case it would mean that the server would be hit 10 users /sec.
Now pls let me know how the usage of a constant throughput timer would help.
I am still able to ensure that there are a miimum of 10 threads/sec at any
point of time in the 10 sec run.

Thanks
Srinims
Sent from the JMeter - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Constant Throughput Timer

Posted by Srinims <sr...@aztec.soft.net>.
sebb , could u throw light on how the server  throughput is caluclated .
for .eg if there is an online shooping mart  and if we need to calculate
"the throughput" of the server
i.e no of Shopping transactions that the server can process/sec then would
the value that Jmeter displays in the aggregate report give us that value?
(i.e if the I record the scripts for a simple "Add to shopping cart " use
case ..

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 03/08/06, Srinims <sr...@aztec.soft.net> wrote:

> I was just quoting some values as examples. I don't think the functionality
> of  the Constant Throughput timer would change based on the ramp up time
> .Pls let me know how the constant throughput timer is supposed to work .

It is documented at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Constant_Throughput_Timer

Re: Constant Throughput Timer

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 03/08/06, Srinims <sr...@aztec.soft.net> wrote:

> Hi Sebb/Peter ,
>
> Please clarify the significance of using a constant throughput timer .

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Constant_Throughput_Timer

> Now consider the following case:
>
> No of threads : -100
> Ramp Up time -10 secs
 > In this case it would mean that the server would be hit 10 users /sec.

No, the ramp-up time is how long JMeter takes to start all the threads.

It would start 10 threads per second, but the number of server
hits/second depends on the contents of the test plan.

> Now pls let me know how the usage of a constant throughput timer would help.
> I am still able to ensure that there are a miimum of 10 threads/sec at any
> point of time in the 10 sec run.

It is not sensible to plan a perfomance test lasting only 10 seconds.

What are you trying to achieve by the test?