Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Dominic Amann <do...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/26 16:55:41 UTC

Setup issues

I am attempting to setup OFBiz for my business.

I am a Linux developer of many years experience.

I wanted a secure (SSL) setup, and I thought I would use Mariadb as I
already use that for other software, and I would avoid duplication with
another database. I stretched this further by wanting to have no demo data.

I found it very difficult to accomplish all this. Much more difficult than
I might have expected for a major apache project. However, I persevered,
and after a whole weekend of work, I got it working to a first order. I
have documented each step I took.

HOWEVER:

I CANNOT ADD A PARTY MAILING ADDRESS. There are no provinces listed for
Canada. There are no states listed for the USA. I don't know other
countries intimately, so I can't speak for them. As a result of being
incomplete, I cannot add addresses at all.

I initially thought this must be because I did not use the demo data. So, I
repeated my work, but left the demo data in place. SAME PROBLEM.

Then I thought that perhaps I should do the migration (to Mysql) AFTER
setting up the initial data. That was BROKEN and wouldn't complete on
import, and the resulting website wouldn't display properly.

Then I thought it might be the database - perhaps it doesn't work with
mysql. I would just do the straightforward install, and work with that.
SAME PROBLEM.

So here we are: 3 full days and I can't enter my first employee, even with
the simplest install with default settings.  Of course there is one
fundamental lesson here: never just believe that something works just
because it is from a reputable project that has been out there for years. I
should have known better.

--

Dominic Amann

M 416-270-4587

Re: Setup issues

Posted by dimonic <do...@gmail.com>.
Georg Potthast-2 wrote
> You can use Webtools to see the data related to each entity in the
> database.

Yes, thanks. I found the relevant entities - in the database. But the field
still want bring up the states/provinces, so I can't add addresses. Even the
demo data won't show the state (in the update screen), only in the display
screen.

--
Sent from: http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/OFBiz-User-f135036.html

Re: Setup issues

Posted by Georg Potthast <no...@georgpotthast.de>.
You can use Webtools to see the data related to each entity in the database.

Posted by Dominic Amann <do...@gmail.com>.
This is default install, per the directions, demo data, current version
(17.12.04). It simply doesn't work.

--

Dominic Amann

M 416-270-4587