Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/09/13 11:20:45 UTC

[Lucene-hadoop Wiki] Trivial Update of "Hbase/HbaseShell/Altools" by udanax

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by udanax:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/HbaseShell/Altools

  [[TableOfContents(5)]]
  ----
-  ''-- This project is currently in the planning stage.  [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1608 HADOOP-1608] to add "Relational Algrebra Operators" is currently in process.[[BR]]-- If you have constructive ideas, Please advise me. [[MailTo(webmaster AT SPAMFREE udanax DOT org)]]''
+  ''-- This project is currently in the planning stage.  [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1608 HADOOP-1608] to add "Relational Algrebra Operators" is currently in process.

  = Hbase Shell Altools Plan =

  Hbase altools is an Hbase Shell sub 'interpreter' (or 'shell)' program to provide scalable data processing capabilities like  aggregation, algebraic calculation(groups and sets, commutative rings, algebraic geometry, and linear algebra) on Hadoop + Hbase based parallel machines. especially, it will focus on storing and manipulating numeric, sparse matrices on Hbase.

  Altools operations will show or explain how Google search's LSI, Google Earth's algebraic topology, Google News' recommendation system are related to Bigtable.
+
+ == Initial Contributor ==
+  * [:udanax:Edward Yoon] (R&D center, NHN corp.)
+   -- If you have constructive ideas, Please advise me. [[MailTo(webmaster AT SPAMFREE udanax DOT org)]]''

  == Background ==
  I expect Hadoop + Hbase to handle sparsity and data explosion very well in near future. Moreover, i believe the design of the multi-dimensional map structure and the 3d space model of the data are optimized for rapid ad-hoc information retrieval in any orientation, as well as for fast, flexible calculation and transformation of raw data based on formulaic relationships. It is advantageous with respect to Analysis Processing as it allows users to easily formulate complex queries, and filter or slice data into meaningful subsets, among other things.