Posted to users@camel.apache.org by dandryey <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/05 19:42:18 UTC

Performance test results for QuickFIX/J component

We are considering using Camel in a project involving sending high volumes of
FIX messages. We had no luck obtaining throughput numbers for our
feasibility assessment and so we decided to run a number of tests to see how
well the Camel quickfix component performs. We would like to publish our
results here in case someone else might be looking for this information.
Most tests were executed with message persistence turned off. We also ran a
few tests with disk persistence enabled; there was no appreciable
difference.

===================================
Test results
===================================

* Application
Camel 2.14.0 (all logging turned off except for throughput messages every 10
seconds)
QuickFixJ 1.5.3 (EventHandlingStrategy queue size set to 5000)
Apache MINA 1.1.0

* Routes
1. An order is sent by a client, received by the app, and is forwarded to
the exchange.
2. A fill is sent by the exchange, received by the app, and is forwarded to
the client.

* Environment
SUN FIRE X4270 M2 SERVER
2 physical CPUs (Intel Xeon X5680 @ 3.33GHz), 24 virtual CPUs
SunOS 5.10 Generic_150401-13

* QuickFixJ configuration
ScreenLogShowEvents=N
ScreenLogShowIncoming=N
ScreenLogShowOutgoing=N
CheckLatency=N
ThreadModel=ThreadPerSession
PersistMessages=N

* Test Run 1
JVM heap size: 512 min/max
Runtime: 60 minutes
Rate: 5000 messages per second
Total number of messages processed: 17979195
Average CPU utilization: 6.9%

* Test Run 2
JVM heap size: 512 min/max
Runtime: 60 minutes
Rate: 6000 messages per second
Total number of messages processed: 21600000
Average CPU utilization: 8.4%

* Test Run 3
JVM heap size: 512 min/max
Runtime: 23 minutes
Rate: 8000 messages per second
Total number of messages processed: 11188398
Average CPU utilization: 12%

* Test Run 4
JVM heap size: 512 min/max
Runtime: 30 minutes
Rate: 7000 messages per second
Total number of messages processed: 12609889
Average CPU utilization: 10%

* Test Run 5
JVM heap size: 512 min/max
Runtime: 60 minutes
Rate: 8500 messages per second
Total number of messages processed: 30600000
Average CPU utilization: 12%

* Test Run 6
3 clients and 3 exchanges
JVM heap size: 512 min/max
Runtime: 60 minutes
Rate: 4000 messages per second
Total number of messages processed: 14400000 * 3 = 43200000
Average CPU utilization: 19.5%