Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2012/04/07 14:50:06 UTC

Switch Website To CMS ...?

Today, the podling website[1] is generated by Maven for Rat.

A CMS based[2] replacement[3] has been in staging for a while. Some
pages are edited using the bookmarklet (please feel free to jump in),
others are generated using Maven then checked in. (For rat use 'mvn
site:deploy -Pcms')

Should we switch to the CMS...?

Robert

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/rat/
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html
[3] http://rat.staging.apache.org/rat/rat/

Re: Switch Website To CMS ...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 04/09/12 06:54, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2012-04-09, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> I have just tried the mvn-based site, I changed a single page and had to
>> commit all Javadocs - I don't think I like this.
>
> Even worse, the commit failed as apache-rat-tasks/examples/custom.html
> has inconsistent line-ends (probably others as well).  The apt source is
> using LF only on my Linux box, svn:eol-style is set and the resulting
> page has a mix of CRLF and LF lines with the CRLF stuff in the pieces
> added by Maven (HTML header, footer and all that).
>
> I won't try to fix that as I don't have any idea where to start.

I have some ideas but perhaps it's easier and better just to move from
'mvn site' to the CMS

Robert

Re: Switch Website To CMS ...?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-04-09, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> I have just tried the mvn-based site, I changed a single page and had to
> commit all Javadocs - I don't think I like this.

Even worse, the commit failed as apache-rat-tasks/examples/custom.html
has inconsistent line-ends (probably others as well).  The apt source is
using LF only on my Linux box, svn:eol-style is set and the resulting
page has a mix of CRLF and LF lines with the CRLF stuff in the pieces
added by Maven (HTML header, footer and all that).

I won't try to fix that as I don't have any idea where to start.

Stefan

Maven Site in CMS [WAS Re: Switch Website To CMS ...?]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 04/09/12 06:44, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2012-04-07, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> Today, the podling website[1] is generated by Maven for Rat.
>
>> A CMS based[2] replacement[3] has been in staging for a while. Some
>> pages are edited using the bookmarklet (please feel free to jump in),
>> others are generated using Maven then checked in. (For rat use 'mvn
>> site:deploy -Pcms')
>
>> Should we switch to the CMS...?
>
> I have just tried the mvn-based site, I changed a single page and had to
> commit all Javadocs - I don't think I like this.

And it's probably not a great idea to continue spamming the commits list :-/

> In general I'm not a big fan of mvn sites with generated reports that
> are useful for the projects developers but not for its users.  Given we
> only have a few content-pages in total (less than 20, I'd guess), I'd
> prefer to manage them via the CMS and drop the mvn site completely.

As a user, I find having a full Maven site for each release is useful.
This would only need one site checking per release. So, I'm probably in
agreement.

Robert

Re: Switch Website To CMS ...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 04/09/12 06:44, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2012-04-07, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> Today, the podling website[1] is generated by Maven for Rat.
>
>> A CMS based[2] replacement[3] has been in staging for a while. Some
>> pages are edited using the bookmarklet (please feel free to jump in),
>> others are generated using Maven then checked in. (For rat use 'mvn
>> site:deploy -Pcms')
>
>> Should we switch to the CMS...?
>
> I have just tried the mvn-based site, I changed a single page and had to
> commit all Javadocs - I don't think I like this.
>
> In general I'm not a big fan of mvn sites with generated reports that
> are useful for the projects developers but not for its users.  Given we
> only have a few content-pages in total (less than 20, I'd guess), I'd
> prefer to manage them via the CMS and drop the mvn site completely.

If I don't get there first, feel free to experiment in staging

(The content is in subversion, so it's possible to revert any
experiments that don't work out)

Robert

Re: Switch Website To CMS ...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 04/09/12 06:44, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2012-04-07, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> Today, the podling website[1] is generated by Maven for Rat.
>
>> A CMS based[2] replacement[3] has been in staging for a while. Some
>> pages are edited using the bookmarklet (please feel free to jump in),
>> others are generated using Maven then checked in. (For rat use 'mvn
>> site:deploy -Pcms')
>
>> Should we switch to the CMS...?
>
> I have just tried the mvn-based site, I changed a single page and had to
> commit all Javadocs - I don't think I like this.

yeh - I find this annoying too

(but not annoying enough for me to code a wagon plugin with smoother
subversion integration)

deploying the old site using Maven is a PITA for me too, so for me this
isn't any worse

> In general I'm not a big fan of mvn sites with generated reports that
> are useful for the projects developers but not for its users.  Given we
> only have a few content-pages in total (less than 20, I'd guess), I'd
> prefer to manage them via the CMS and drop the mvn site completely.

+1 (for rat)

for the moment, I'm happy to put with 'mvn site' pain for whisker

tentacles already uses CMS

> One nit
>
>> [3] http://rat.staging.apache.org/rat/rat/
>
> will need creadur in the first two "rat"-places once we move to the TLP.

yep

Robert

Re: Switch Website To CMS ...?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.