Posted to commons-dev@db.apache.org by "Donald F. McLean" <dm...@stsci.edu> on 2003/07/11 18:46:21 UTC

Clarification of this project

The charter isn't really very clear about one thing that I think would
be kind of important.

Is this project focused around:

Classes that are reuseable in software that uses other databases?

Classes that are reuseable in writing dbms's (and/or simpler database
like classes)?

Both?

I'm only interested in one of the two.

Donald McLean

Re: Clarification of this project

Posted by "Donald F. McLean" <dm...@stsci.edu>.
It's sometimes hard to tell whether something is deliberately or
accidentally vague. In this case, the answer appears to be that it is
deliberately vague.

My interest in databases in centered around all Java embeddable datases
with no licensing cost of any kind for commercial use. My application is
fairly small and I can't afford licensing fees.

There are several "free" databases but so far I haven't found one that
met my needs that didn't also have some kind of per-end-user licensing
fee for commercial use. As a result, I've been writing my own.

Some of the classes that I've been writing could be generally applicable
to either database software or to other, less powerful types of
random-access binary file IO. I will prepare a write-up of what I've
written so far and submit it as a proposed package for this project.

Donald

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
Both.