Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de> on 2006/06/30 11:47:30 UTC

SessionReplication

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the current state of Session Replication in Cocoon is
still as described in:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/FlowscriptAndSessionReplication ?

If so -

1. Is this any different in 2.2?
2. Has anyone looked at how long it would take to fix this?
3. If I don't use Flowscript in my application - does SessionReplication
work?

I would also be really interested in the arguments you use against a
customer saying "Cocoon is crap because it can't replicate sessions". Yes
really.

Thanks!

Matthew

Re: SessionReplication

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> > Currently the best bet is using Apples as controller and put only Serializable
> > objects into the session.
>
> Just to clarify/expand, apples are stateful too and are managed by the
> same continuationsmanager as flowscript continuations. It is possible to
> have stateless apples, but that's just so that stateless interactions
> could be written similarly to the stateful interactions.

If you enhance the continuations machinery javaflow also becomes
another option (as carefully written javaflow can be serialized)
...but I am with Giacomo on this ...I would really question whether
session replication is the right way to go ...even if you'd implement
these changes to the continuation management (which is probably not
that much work)

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: SessionReplication

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Re: SessionReplication

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Matthew Langham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me if the current state of Session Replication in Cocoon is
> still as described in:
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/FlowscriptAndSessionReplication ?
>
> If so -
>
> 1. Is this any different in 2.2?

no

> 2. Has anyone looked at how long it would take to fix this?
> 3. If I don't use Flowscript in my application - does SessionReplication
> work?

Currently the best bet is using Apples as controller and put only Serializable
objects into the session. If you also want to use cForms you will probably need
to work on making the Form object supporting the Serializable interface but this
shouldn't be too difficult.

> I would also be really interested in the arguments you use against a
> customer saying "Cocoon is crap because it can't replicate sessions". Yes
> really.

In one of my project we don't use HTTPSessions at all but have a session service
that needs to be explicitly called. The system behind the session service is the
only stateful unit in our architecture.
This leads to more work during development but you can scale/load-balance your
presentation layer without having to think about complicated replication stuff
or sticky cookies at all.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: SessionReplication

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.