Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mcalexander, Jon J." <jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID> on 2023/09/08 18:21:20 UTC

Enhancement request?

In seeing the latest messages about the manager application, something that I and my team would LOVE to have is just a Status app that provides all the items status wise that the Manager app does, without any of the "Application Management" like restarting an app, etc. I know all the pieces are out there in Catalina.jar, but I don't have the developer knowledge to put it together in a separate servlet that just calls the items needed from Catalina.

Is this something that any of the guru's have thought about putting together? I'm thinking it would be best to just be a web service, no gui, that you can call and get the json or xml output with the data so it can be incorporated into a dashboard.

Thanks,

Dream * Excel * Explore * Inspire
Jon McAlexander
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Asst. Vice President
He/His

Middleware Product Engineering
Enterprise CIO | EAS | Middleware | Infrastructure Solutions

8080 Cobblestone Rd | Urbandale, IA 50322
MAC: F4469-010
Tel 515-988-2508 | Cell 515-988-2508

jonmcalexander@wellsfargo.com<ma...@wellsfargo.com>
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Enhancement request?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Jon,

On 9/8/23 17:09, Mcalexander, Jon J. wrote:
> It would be something that combines all 4 of your items below. I
> would be looking for something that can just give health status of
> Tomcat and the apps being hosted by that instance. This
> wouldn't/shouldn't have any "Admin" rights to do anything other than
> provide info. HTML is fine, but I think from an automation and
> dashboard reporting standpoint the json/xml stream/soap
> response/whatever would be best.
Does the existing non-GUI Manager interface not already provide what you
are looking for? Or maybe JMX (possibly via the JMXProxyServlet)? Direct
access to JMX /does/ mean that the connecting client has very high
privileges, though.

> Now, in my possibly short sited view of the world, if wishes were
> fishes type of thing, to ME it would be awesome if this was
> automagically available via startup without having to do anything
> special in the server.xml to make that app available only to
> localhost on such and such port. Know what I mean? An instant
> statement of health localhost URL. 😊
I think the term "health[y]" might mean different things to different
people. I think if you need something to be available that reports
healthiness of your own service and application, you should probably
build-to-suit.

-chris

RE: Enhancement request?

Posted by "Mcalexander, Jon J." <jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID>.