Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2008/09/01 13:26:35 UTC

Re: Anybody familiar with ChoiceFormat? Issue 44659

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Looking back at this again, I think having the number
>> formatted according to the US Locale would be more
>> confusing than by the default Locale, speaking without
>> the perspective of a person who typically uses e.g. .
>> as a thousands separator and , as a decimal separator.
>
> I am one of those people and to me it is more confusing to have Ant
> use German number formatting but say "minutes" instead of "Minuten".
> (well, would be since I haven't seen builds taking > 1000 minutes
> myself).
>
> When copying files we don't use a number format at all and thus end up
> with a pure number without any separators at all.
>
> I wouldn't expect that too many builds take tens of thousands of
> minutes so a number with or without thousands separator may be as
> readable as the other in out case.
>
> AFAICT making the thousands separator go away takes the same amount of
> coding effort as making it use the US locale.

I use a logger that tells me when the build finished; this is so that
when I switch to different windows and back I can see if a build was
recent or not. There's a good case for making the date/time info
localised, if you want to do everything properly.