Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Matthias Müller <py...@yahoo.de> on 2007/08/15 14:56:16 UTC

zero width space alternative for Arial

Hi,

Since Arial doesn't support the zero width space symbol &#x200b; i need another way to control line breaking. Hyphenation doesn't work here since i use TEXT_LIKE_THIS

;-)

Any ideas?

      Wissenswertes zum Thema PC, Zubehör oder Programme. BE A BETTER INTERNET-GURU!  www.yahoo.de/clever

Re: zero width space alternative for Arial

Posted by Abel Braaksma <ab...@xs4all.nl>.
Hi Matthias,

The best thing you can do here is to switch to a font that has it. There
are free fonts around that you can use, or Arial MS Unicode, if you can
afford it (or if you have MS Office). All you need to do is in your
preprocess (XSLT I guess) to tokenize your strings and to replace '_'
with some inline block with the ZWS symbol in it (in XSLT 2.0 this is
very easy with the tokenize() function, in XSLT 1.0 you need recursive
templates)

Maybe it is even easier to create empty inline blocks, where FOP will
break (as it sees it as a word-end) but I don't know if that will work.

Putting your whole document to Arial Unicode is probably the easiest.

Cheers,
-- Abel