Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Julio Santa Cruz <js...@xtech.com.ar> on 2001/05/06 06:47:08 UTC

Apache soap and SOAP::Lite?

Hi,
Does anybody ever tried to comunicate 2 applications , one in java and
one in perl, using SOAP?
I've managed to do it, but I'm having trouble to get SOAP::Lite to send
a perl hash to Apache SOAP.
The Apache-SOAP parser returns strings  in order, but without any marks
about keys and values.
What is realy weird is that it works the other way, when I send a java
Hashtable to SOAP::Lite it gets translated to a perl hash.
Also noticed that something similar is happenining with bidimensional
arrays.
Any clues?
TIA,
	Julio.

Re: Apache soap and SOAP::Lite?

Posted by Denis Haskin <de...@yahoo.com>.
Julio Santa Cruz wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anybody ever tried to comunicate 2 applications , one in java and
> one in perl, using SOAP?
> I've managed to do it, but I'm having trouble to get SOAP::Lite to send a
> perl hash to Apache SOAP.
> The Apache-SOAP parser returns strings  in order, but without any marks
> about keys and values.
> What is realy weird is that it works the other way, when I send a java
> Hashtable to SOAP::Lite it gets translated to a perl hash.
> Also noticed that something similar is happenining with bidimensional
> arrays.

I have an Apache SOAP client talking to a Perl server.  I had difficulty
getting SOAP::Lite to interoperate properly with Apache SOAP, although
that was a few months ago and I frankly don't remember exactly what the
problems were.  I will see if I have any notes on it.

The Perl server side parsed the incoming Apache SOAP request quite well,
but getting a good response back was more difficult.

I already had a server framework and needed to use SOAP without
completely adopting the SOAP::Lite server framework, and I found that
difficult to do.  Also, in the small tests I did with the SOAP::Lite
server framework it seemed to have a lot of overhead, an issue I have
seen mentioned on this list (or was it the soap@discuss.develop.com
list?).

I have ended up using some of the modules from SOAP/Perl on the Perl
server side.

Specifically, what I do is
- create a SOAP::EnvelopeMaker, passing an output_function that just
collects the serialized form into a string
- create a SOAP::Struct using new_typed()
- call SOAP::EnvelopeMaker::set_body with that SOAP::Struct
- send the serialized string myself with my own calls

dwh

Re: Apache soap and SOAP::Lite?

Posted by Denis Haskin <de...@yahoo.com>.