Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Richard S. Huntrods" <hu...@nucleus.com> on 2001/12/21 18:55:15 UTC

What does it mean - "Name on certificate does not match name of the site"

Greetings!

Last post for a while - I promise! <G>

What does it mean - "Name on certificate does not match name of the
site"?

 I did the "self-signed" certificate thing for SSL.  There are three
messages that appear on the pop-up dialog when you access the secure
site.  The first says "The certificate ... non-trusted company" (in
essence). It is a warning.  The second message says "... date is valid".
It is "OK".  The third warning is the one above.

I know and expect the first warning - unless someone like Verisign
"signs" the certificate, it is considered untrusted.  Self-signed
certificates will always give this warning.  No problem.

However, when you create a self-signed cert, I cannot find a place to
put the site - so I cannot see how this third warning can be prevented.
The questions are:
Your name (I assume that's my personal name)
Your company org unit (what the heck is this?  I put my domain name
here)
Your company (obvious)
Your city (obvious)
Your province/state (obvious)
Your country code (two letters)

Besides the passwords, I cannot see what would signify "site" to the
certificate.

Assistance?  Feel free to point me to something on Sun or Verisign's
site.  I didn't find anything on a cursory look-over, but I'd be glad to
know of an "M" to "RTF".

Cheers, and thanks  in advance.

-Richard

Re: What does it mean - "Name on certificate does not match name of the site"

Posted by Pae Choi <pa...@earthlink.net>.
It usually means that the name, e.g., Common Name, in your
certificate and the name of your server, e.g., http server,
where the certificate originated from don't match.

How did you created the certificate? Ex, openssl?

Hope this helps,

Pae

Posted by Hunter Hillegas <li...@lastonepicked.com>.
I would put the complete machine name here.

That is what Thawte asks you to do when you get a cert from them.