Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2016/08/30 02:30:52 UTC

Re: Support C++ on Linux

Hi Kai,

On 2016-08-28 13:22, Zheng, Kai wrote:
> I noticed Reef also has C++ codes for Windows but not sure if it's
> completed, any C++ example jobs? Is there any plan to extend the
> support on Linux?

REEF contains some C++ code, but presently does not have a C++ API. The
C++ code in the project implements the bridge between JVM and CLR code
we have in the REEF Driver.

If you wanted to write a REEF app in C++, the C# API would be a good
entrance point. C# has pretty solid support for loading native code and
interacting with it with low overhead.

Markus

Re: Support C++ on Linux

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2016-08-30 04:59, Zheng, Kai wrote:
> I thought supporting other languages like c++ and python across
> client, driver and evaluator would be important for Reef,

+1 on this. We just haven't gotten around to do something about it :)

When going down the path of a C++ API, we should carefully evaluate
which parts of the REEF API to prioritize to be in C++. There is
great value in making the Evaluator side native, as Gon suggested.
That is the part of REEF that touches the data, the part of big data
applications that benefit tremendously from native code. The Driver and
Client, on the other hand, don't see much load in typical applications:
They perform control flow operations. And neither the JVM nor the CLR
gets in the way of coordinating the work on 1000s of containers.

Markus

RE: Support C++ on Linux

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thank you Markus and Gon for the thoughts. I thought supporting other languages like c++ and python across client, driver and evaluator would be important for Reef, since Reef aims to support machine/deep learning frameworks and many ones are not in Java or .NET in fact. I'm looking into the details and will evaluate the effort. If sounds a good taking my side will consider it. Quite agree the existing C# codes may provide a good approach to borrow from.

Regards,