Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by John <li...@johndubchak.com> on 2008/10/06 21:02:57 UTC

NPE on Deployment

Hi All,

I am trying to deploy an ear file to Geronimo 2.1.3.  The ear contains a
number of dependency jar files, a war, an ejb and the associated
descriptors, or so I think.

However, when I attempt to deploy through the admin console, I am
getting the following exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:275)
    at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:133)
    at
    at
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:867)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:239)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.AbstractDeployCommand.doDeploy(AbstractDeployCommand.java:116)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.DistributeCommand.run(DistributeCommand.java:61)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.connector.deployment.ResourceRefBuilder.buildNaming(ResourceRefBuilder.java:127)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.NamingBuilderCollection.buildNaming(NamingBuilderCollection.java:53)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbDeploymentBuilder.addEnc(EjbDeploymentBuilder.java:321)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbDeploymentBuilder.buildEnc(EjbDeploymentBuilder.java:292)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.addGBeans(EjbModuleBuilder.java:764)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(EARConfigBuilder.java:647)
    at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:254)
    ... 12 more

My question is, can anyone give me some ideas on how to track down a
vague, non-descript, error such as this?

Thanks in advance,
John

Re: NPE on Deployment

Posted by John <li...@johndubchak.com>.
David Jencks wrote:
> What I do is look at the source code.
>
> Googling ResourceRefBuilder yields a commit email which leads to e.g.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/server/trunk/plugins/connector/geronimo-connector-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/ResourceRefBuilder.java?annotate=651684
>

> Modifying this to the 2.1.3 branch yields
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/server/tags/2.1.3/plugins/connector/geronimo-connector-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/ResourceRefBuilder.java?annotate=651684
>

> which despite the wrong rev id seems to show the correct source.
>
>  Line 127 is
>
>      String type = resourceRef.getResType().getStringValue().trim();
>
> which makes me guess that you've left out the res-type from your
> resource-ref.
>
> May not be completely ideal but this process usually works for me.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply...I was downloading the source from Subversion when
I received your message.

That being said, I was able to understand where the error was coming
from, though I will need to do some research to track it down.

As always, thank you for taking the time to respond.

John

Re: NPE on Deployment

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 6, 2008, at 12:02 PM, John wrote:

> [...]

What I do is look at the source code.

Googling ResourceRefBuilder yields a commit email which leads to e.g.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/server/trunk/plugins/connector/geronimo-connector-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/ResourceRefBuilder.java?annotate=651684

Modifying this to the 2.1.3 branch yields
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/server/tags/2.1.3/plugins/connector/geronimo-connector-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/ResourceRefBuilder.java?annotate=651684

which despite the wrong rev id seems to show the correct source.

  Line 127 is

	 String type = resourceRef.getResType().getStringValue().trim();

which makes me guess that you've left out the res-type from your
resource-ref.

May not be completely ideal but this process usually works for me.

thanks
david jencks