Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org> on 2010/12/11 03:24:03 UTC

Re: Documentation related to DB operations

It will really help to have the behavior documented for Database in
Hive. I thought of doing it myself but then got stumped by "location"
clause. Reading from ticket
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-675 it looks like one can
specify the custom location. When I tried to do it, got
ParseException. Then went looking in code and seems like user is not
allowed to specify location. So, gave up on documenting. Instead of me
writing buggy document and confuse other users better to have no
document :)

Ashutosh

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org> wrote:
> It will really help to have the behavior documented for Database in
> Hive. I thought of doing it myself but then got stumped by "location"
> clause. Reading from ticket
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-675 it looks like one can
> specify the custom location. When I tried to do it, got
> ParseException. Then went looking in code and seems like user is not
> allowed to specify location. So, gave up on documenting. Instead of me
> writing buggy document and confuse other users better to have no
> document :)
>
> Ashutosh
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 08:16, Carl Steinbach <ca...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ashutosh,
>> You're correct that this is currently not documented anywhere. I'll try to
>> write something up in the next couple of days.
>> Thanks.
>> Carl
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I see that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-675 is committed
>>> and Hive now has support for databases and related operations
>>> associated with it. But I am unable to find any user facing
>>> documentation for it. Can someone update the
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual/DDL with new grammar
>>> for DB related operations as well as example usages of those. Or is it
>>> already documented in some other wiki page ?
>>>
>>> Ashutosh

In the jira issue the comments are not definitive. The best way to
understand what is going on is to look at the test cases *.q. Usually
the test cases exercise the code and are self documenting.

Edward