Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Chen <qu...@cs.berkeley.edu> on 2006/10/04 22:25:22 UTC

svn:externals

Is there any way, or would it be possible to add a feature to
svn:externals, to have a URI be based on the current repository?

- Have the method be the same as the parent repository.  For
  example, we use https:// for commits, but allow anonymous read
  over http://.  However, svn:externals currently forces us to
  pick one.

This could be generalized to allow the following, which are low
priority.

- Have the path be based on the parent repository.  This would
  allow tagging versions to work more easily across external
  repositories.  It's possible to work around this by changing the
  svn:external property after tagging (actually branching in this
  case).

- Have the hostname be the same as the parent repository.  This is
  useful when moving repository groups to a different host, but
  this is just a low priority wishlist item.

--
Karl 2006-10-04 15:15

Re: svn:externals

Posted by Peter Lundblad <pl...@google.com>.
C. Michael Pilato writes:
> Karl Chen wrote:
> > Is there any way, or would it be possible to add a feature to
> > svn:externals, to have a URI be based on the current repository?
> >
> > - Have the method be the same as the parent repository.  For
> >   example, we use https:// for commits, but allow anonymous read
> >   over http://.  However, svn:externals currently forces us to
> >   pick one.
>
> (For the record, I'm much in favor of adding this functionality.)

For the record, this is issue #1336. I think maxb wanted to implement it
some time ago (last spring or something), but the discussion got stuck in
syntax questions... A problem is that we probably want to align this with
relative URLs on the command line which requires a syntax that does not
look like normal relative URLs.

Best,
//Peter

Re: svn:externals

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Karl Chen wrote:
> Is there any way, or would it be possible to add a feature to
> svn:externals, to have a URI be based on the current repository?
>
> - Have the method be the same as the parent repository.  For
>   example, we use https:// for commits, but allow anonymous read
>   over http://.  However, svn:externals currently forces us to
>   pick one.

You aren't the first person to express this need.  I think the generic
form of it looks something like, "May I used a URL relative to my
current location instead of a fully qualified one, please?"

So, instead of "http[s]://server/repos/trunk/some_library", you might
just have "../../some_library".