Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> on 2022/07/13 17:11:00 UTC

PR: 'After file external change fire reloaded event'

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4249

This PR introduces a property "PROP_RELOADING" with property change
events. The PR has been reviewed and polished; a problem is that the
event is not currently used in the codebase. I've been using it for
weeks with an editor plugin for caret position preservation. I'd like to
use it permanently, and experiment with using text context to improve
post modifiction accuracy for Postions and Carets; but until it becomes
part of NetBeans I can't invest time in it.

The events could be used internally by NetBeans, for example editor lib
2 EditorCaret handling repositioning multiple carets; or it that doesn't
seem appropriate, then by EditorKit's; or even as a specific plugin.

I was wondering about marking the property as "devel" to start with, but
I haven't seen properties for property change events documented in arch.xml.

Background. When tracking down an issue with a plugin, I discovered
CloneableEditorSupport.createPositionRef (which solved my problem); I
saw how CES worked to make an effort to preserve swing.textPosition when
there is a document reload (it preserves line/col rather than document
offset). For carets, it preserves document offset; which doesn't feel as
good. In addition, Multiple cursors were introduced and that is not
considered; it can't since platform can not depend on ide.

-ernie

Re: PR: 'After file external change fire reloaded event'

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
I was hoping this would make the cut for NB 15.

Is there a problem with the PR? Lack of resources? Lack of Interest? The
problem the PR addresses isn't important? Poor presentation?

-ernie