Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Michele Laghi <mi...@attglobal.net> on 2000/09/06 17:52:43 UTC

Use of SOAP with other parsers

I plan to use SOAP-2_0 for a project I am working on. I saw that the
implementation is bound to the xerces parser. Since we are using an
other parser I wanted to ask if there are any plans to make this soap
implementation parser-independent in (a near) future.

Greetings Michele

Michele Laghi
Av. Benavides 163 dpto. 301
MIRAFLORES-LIMA (PERU)
tel. +51 1 4463956
e-mail: michele.laghi@attglobal.net

Re: Use of SOAP with other parsers

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
No, it means it uses DOM2 core - we use the DOM2 NS methods.

If that's a problem that can be worked around too .. I believe all
the DOM NS methods are accessed from the DOMUtils class; so it'd be
easy to fix that to do something else. Although, given that DOM2
is getting closeer to being done, I'd much rather just use those
APIs straight.

Sanjiva.

Posted by Steve Muench <sm...@us.oracle.com>.

Posted by Steve Muench <sm...@us.oracle.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
I it certainly possible! The original code in fact uses a parser
abstraction (see org.apache.soap.util.xml.XMLParserLiaison) to
enable this. However, we got sloppy and new()'ed XercesParserLiaison
directly in some places without going thru some factory to create
it. The fix is to fix that code .. fairly simple to do.

If you're so inclined you could do the work and send the diffs to
merge into the code!

Sanjiva.