Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Arjun Satish <ar...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/17 07:58:04 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-298: Error Handling in Connect kafka

All,

Many thanks for all the feedback on KIP-298. Highly appreciate the time and
effort you all put into it.

I've updated the KIP accordingly, and would like to start to start a vote
on it.

KIP: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-
298%3A+Error+Handling+in+Connect
JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6738
Discussion Thread: https://www.mail-archive.com/
dev@kafka.apache.org/msg87660.html

Thanks very much!

Re: [VOTE] KIP-298: Error Handling in Connect kafka

Posted by Arjun Satish <ar...@gmail.com>.
All,

The PR discussions prompted us to consider adding a new configuration
property for the dead letter queue. This (boolean) property when enabled,
would add headers to the raw record that contain details about the error
(such as original topic, partition, offset of the record, connector name,
task number, processing stage, exception class, and error message). By
default, the property would be set to false and no headers would be added.

I understand that the KIP freeze deadline has passed, but this minor
feature brings good value to the dead letter queue.

Please find the updates to the KIP in the section here, and let me know
what you think:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-
298%3A+Error+Handling+in+Connect#KIP-298:ErrorHandlinginConnect-
DeadLetterQueue(forSinkConnectorsonly)

Thanks very much,

Posted by Arjun Satish <ar...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
+1. Thanks for the KIP!

Posted by Arjun Satish <ar...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Arjun. +1 (non-binding)

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the KIP. +1 (binding)

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-298: Error Handling in Connect kafka

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by Magesh Nandakumar <ma...@confluent.io>.
+1 (non-binding)