Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2020/10/22 18:08:57 UTC

Project website analytics

So asf infra has given us a go ahead to do website analytics with a
self-hosted plausible.io  (with the warning that a forthcoming GDPR
policy from the ASF might revert it later on). ref INFRA-20748

A few folk have asked for this, and it would certainly make website
updates, blogs and updates much easier in the future with such real
numbers to work with.

To start with the easiest approach would be to have just a no
credentials UI (i.e. only public stats) setup.

Do we have interest (and any offers) for hosting this somewhere?

Re: Project website analytics

Posted by Lorina Poland <lo...@datastax.com>.
Excited to have this capability!

Lorina Poland

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <bl...@apache.org>.
Nice. :-)

Posted by Berenguer Blasi <be...@gmail.com>.
Thx a lot indeed!

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <be...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.
Thanks Stefan, Instaclustr and everyone involved!

Re: Project website analytics

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.
Hi all,

I  have managed to deploy an instance of Plausible (1) service for the
upcoming, brand new Cassandra web page (2 and 3).

Please keep in mind that the current figures for staging web were
aggregated just during our testing just to see how it all actually
works, the integration for cassandra.apache.org will be done
automatically as soon as new web pages will be available.

I have put together a simple guide for cases we need to ever redeploy
this again (4).

The box this service runs at is donated by Instaclustr, we are glad to help!

Thanks Mick for the involvement along the way.

The respective Jira ticket for this effort is here (5)

(1) https://plausible.io/
(2) https://plausible.cassandra.apache.org/cassandra.staged.apache.org
(3) https://plausible.cassandra.apache.org/cassandra.apache.org
(4) https://github.com/apache/cassandra-builds/tree/trunk/plausible
(5) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16488

Regards

Stefan

Posted by Ben Slater <be...@instaclustr.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> I'm a bit unclear what you're looking for here - someone to donate a
> server, someone to do admin or both? Or have I missed the point altogether?

Yeah, I threw this out there quite prematurely, but kinda
intentionally to be as inclusive as possible about it. I might be
making a fool of myself, but I'd rather do that than present or be
presumptuous!

So it's about gathering as many questions and concerns by all.

Yes, we would need a server donated. And (Brandon) I'm trying to chase
down what specs would be required for our traffic numbers. I see other
users mentioning 1-4GB ram server, but I have no idea what traffic
they are dealing with.

And yes, we would also need admin(s). A trial would be required too,
for example we'd need to survey what data is collected on the server
and whether we need to restrict ssh/admin access to the PMC.

Please keep firing with questions.

Re: Project website analytics

Posted by Ben Slater <be...@instaclustr.com>.
Hi Mick

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Melissa Logan <me...@constantia.io>.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 11:14 AM Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It may help gauge what's needed if we have some kind of ballpark idea
> for what kind of resources may be needed for this. (The irony that
> having analytics here could tell us is not lost on me.)
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 1:09 PM Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > So asf infra has given us a go ahead to do website analytics with a
> > self-hosted plausible.io  (with the warning that a forthcoming GDPR
> > policy from the ASF might revert it later on). ref INFRA-20748
> >
> > A few folk have asked for this, and it would certainly make website
> > updates, blogs and updates much easier in the future with such real
> > numbers to work with.
> >
> > To start with the easiest approach would be to have just a no
> > credentials UI (i.e. only public stats) setup.
> >
> > Do we have interest (and any offers) for hosting this somewhere?

Melissa Logan (she/her)
Principal, Constantia.io
melissa@constantia.io
Cell: 503-317-8498