Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Cheltenham, Chris" <cc...@philasd.org> on 2018/03/02 14:08:26 UTC

tomcat 8.5.28

Hello,

Has anyone set up tomcat as a non-root use?

I have set it up successfully however, I have to bound the non-root user
to port 8443.

What is the best way to reroute 8443 through 443?

There are several options.

Everything is set up at send to port 443 so I need to reroute 8443 in and
out of 443

CentOS 7 by the way -

===========================

Thank You;

Chris Cheltenham
Technology Services
The School District of Philadelphia

Work # 215-400-5025
Cell # 215-301-6571

RE: tomcat 8.5.28

Posted by "Cheltenham, Chris" <cc...@philasd.org>.
Thanks Andre.

People have nothing better to do I suppose.

===========================

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

RE: tomcat 8.5.28

Re: tomcat 8.5.28

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

RE: tomcat 8.5.28

Posted by "Cheltenham, Chris" <cc...@philasd.org>.
Thank You Sir.

I will go through the wiki and try it out.

===========================

Thank You;

Chris Cheltenham
Technology Services
The School District of Philadelphia

Work # 215-400-5025
Cell # 215-301-6571

> On 02.03.2018 15:22, Cheltenham, Chris wrote:

You can also use jsvc which can:

* bind to privileged ports, then drop privileges
* monitor and restart dead Tomcat processes
* send a signal to rotate logs (like stdout!)

I use a reverse-proxy for everything (and I'd recommend that everyone doing
anything in the "real world" do the same), so I don't need such things, but
I think I'd probably want to use jsvc for this purpose because it's fairly
self-contained PLUS you get the auto-restart capabilities should you want
them.

> As we were discussing documentation in another thread these days:
> I've expected to find a solution to your question in the FAQ and
> wanted to link to it - but didn't find any entry there. There's a
> patch to go on my list, with no ETA though. Maybe a side-task during
> that Manchester Tomcat training.

It's in the Wiki, not the user's guide:
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_to_run_Tomcat_without_root_priv
ileges.3F

It doesn't even come up in Google, so it's no wonder that nobody can find
it.

We should probably roll some of this stuff into the user's guide so it's in
a better place. The Wiki is ... not a great place to put things IMO.

- -chris

Re: tomcat 8.5.28

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: tomcat 8.5.28

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.

On 02.03.2018 15:22, Cheltenham, Chris wrote:
> What?

don't feed the trolls ;)

RE: tomcat 8.5.28

Posted by "Cheltenham, Chris" <cc...@philasd.org>.
What?

===========================

Thank You;

Chris Cheltenham
Technology Services
The School District of Philadelphia

Work # 215-400-5025
Cell # 215-301-6571

Please paused on all your attempts none of this sounds above board so many
issues and no one has a point of contact to talk to or  whom to  I should
go to please don't proceed until I have spoken to a software specialist.

RE: tomcat 8.5.28

Posted by "THOMAS, NEFERTA C" <nt...@att.com>.

RE: tomcat 8.5.28

Posted by "Cheltenham, Chris" <cc...@philasd.org>.
All,

I am not sure is this out of scope with Tomcat's policies?

===========================

Posted by "Cheltenham, Chris" <cc...@philasd.org>.

[root@cjc logs]# curl -k https://10.32.32.230:443

--