Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by REYANE OUKPEDJO <r....@yahoo.com> on 2014/05/19 16:24:17 UTC

Container request with short hostname vs full hostname issue

There seems to be an issue with the container request when specifying the host name for the container. We recently tested and verify that a container request with short host name does not work, the Rresource Manager will accept the request and will never issue a container for that request. Also it will not tell there is an issue with the host name of the machine. When  the container request specifies the long host name , it will issue a container for that request. Is there any requirement that the each container request that specifies the hostname should use a full host  name ? If yes what is the reason for this ?

Thank you.

Reyane OUKPEDJO

Re: Container request with short hostname vs full hostname issue

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@gopivotal.com>.
To my understanding, resource manager(RM) only knows the current active
host by its "long" name; if a host is not seen, it will assume it is not
active NOW.
when RM sees a short name, it doesn't know this is a short name for some
long name so it will not assign it to any node; but instead it will wait
for some other hosts to register as the short name (which will not happen);

Regards,
*Stanley Shi,*

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@gopivotal.com>.

Posted by Stanley Shi <ss...@gopivotal.com>.