Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2014/04/01 07:35:39 UTC

Re: Time to move the CI builds to a "private" VM?

> >  Ok, I wasn't sure if we clone something that does all builds whether
> that would take you over the free limit.
> > Sent via the PANTECH Discover, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.
> >
> The cost is incurred only when the jobs are run (i.e. for CPU usage).  If
> we have enough committers bring their VMs online, we can have a well
> distributed build VMs which we can ensure to run free of cost.

Using the free credits that come with an Apache MSDN subscription, you can
run an Azure VM as a 'large' instance for about half a month, and the if
you switch it to a 'medium' instance - reboot required - you can run it for
the remainder of the month without incurring extra (real) cost. This is how
I've been managing the Mustella VM.

The reboot is not particularly a problem, as the Flash Player and Java (on
which Jenkins runs) do tend to clog up the machine, it seems, requiring a
reboot just about every week.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software