Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com> on 2009/02/16 18:50:19 UTC

Search engine visibility improving ....

We're now on the first page of results for the following queries:

http://www.google.com/search?q=amqp+java
http://www.google.com/search?q=amqp+python
http://www.google.com/search?q=amqp+c++

Still not on the first page for AMQP .... what else are people likely to
search for?

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Search engine visibility improving ....

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
Oliver Baltzer wrote:
> When I stumbled across Qpid I was not looking for a particular protocol,
> instead my search terms where any combination of the below:
>
> C++, C, messaging, message queuing protocol, lightweight, infiniband, python
>
> The keywords C++ and lightweight eventually pointed me to AMQP and
> Wikipedia to Qpid. RDMA support turned out to be a nice side-effect.

This is useful. I think we have a fighting chance of some combinations.
For instance, Red Hat has a page - identical to one we now have on the
Apache Qpid - that shows up on the first page for thise searches:

   c++ messaging
   c++ messaging api

As the Qpid page ages, it will probably gain roughly the same rank as
the Red Hat page for these searches. We now have Python API docs posted,
and these will also age, I'm hoping they will make the first page for
these kinds of searches as well. (This is not an exact science!)

It's usually best to concentrate on ~ 5 searches, or at least <10, that
we want people to find us with. Here's a quick survey of where we are at
today:

We don't do well on searches like these:

    messaging infiniband

*Very* nice results for this:

    messaging RDMA

Not bad for this:

    amqp lightweight

Bad for this - not on the front page:

    lightweight messaging

Our mailing lists pick up hits on the first page for this:

    amqp infiniband

I'm playing with ways to improve our results for AMQP (just created a
standalone AMQP page, I'll be hooking that in).

Just cool

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Just saw a this https://fedorahosted.org/moksha/

It uses Qpid, and allows you to create live widgets receiving data from
an AMQP broker. Uses that qpidd python client. One of the widgets allows
you to chat over via a web widget over AMQP, via qpidd to any IRC / XMPP
service.

Fun to see what is being done with qpid.
Carl.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Just cool

FYI - Producer side flow control

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
I was just asked by someone how to set producer side flow control
simple, on qpidd set

  --max-session-rate MESSAGES/S (0)         Sets the maximum message
rate per session (0=unlimited)

if someone wants to do it on a per session basis it can be easily added
as an option via QMF.

Add to FAQ
http://qpid.apache.org/

just an FYI,
Carl.

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
Robert Greig wrote:
> 2009/2/16 Oliver Baltzer <ol...@hytek.org>:
>
>> Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>
>>> Still not on the first page for AMQP .... what else are people likely to
>>> search for?
>>>
>> When I stumbled across Qpid I was not looking for a particular protocol,
>> instead my search terms where any combination of the below:
>>

> I think this is a very good point. Ideally Qpid should be returned
> high in the list for people searching for a message broker:
>
> open source messaging
> open source jms
> enterprise messaging
> messaging middleware

Ideally, we would have separate pages for each of these, where the title
matches the search terms we want to win on.

I just created this one:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/AMQP+(Advanced+Message+Queueing+Protocol)

I'll tie it in from the left-hand menu. Anyone want to sign up for pages
with the titles Robert suggests?

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/16 Oliver Baltzer <ol...@hytek.org>:
> Jonathan Robie wrote:
>> Still not on the first page for AMQP .... what else are people likely to
>> search for?
>
> When I stumbled across Qpid I was not looking for a particular protocol,
> instead my search terms where any combination of the below:

I think this is a very good point. Ideally Qpid should be returned
high in the list for people searching for a message broker:

open source messaging
open source jms
enterprise messaging
messaging middleware

RG

Posted by Oliver Baltzer <ol...@hytek.org>.
Jonathan Robie wrote:
> Still not on the first page for AMQP .... what else are people likely to
> search for?

When I stumbled across Qpid I was not looking for a particular protocol,
instead my search terms where any combination of the below:

C++, C, messaging, message queuing protocol, lightweight, infiniband, python

The keywords C++ and lightweight eventually pointed me to AMQP and
Wikipedia to Qpid. RDMA support turned out to be a nice side-effect.

Cheers,
Oliver

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Jonathan Robie wrote:
> Is AMQP+server more important than AMQP+broker?

In my mind they are equivalent, equally common and therefore probably of
equal importance.

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Jonathan Robie wrote:
>> We're now on the first page of results for the following queries:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=amqp+java
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=amqp+python
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=amqp+c++
>>
>> Still not on the first page for AMQP .... what else are people likely
>> to search for?
>
> AMQP+Messaging, for which we also show up in the first page (and the
> link is the qpid homepage which is perfect; could we add 'for c++,
> java, python, ruby and .net' to the <title> of the home page?).
>
> AMQP+implementation, for which we don't do very well yet. Likewise
> AMQP+broker and AMQP+client. (Adding 'open source' to the search helps
> here, though some of the hits are not to the most obvious page, i.e.
> the home page for the project).

Is AMQP+server more important than AMQP+broker?

We really should be able to get AMQP on the first page, and generally
improve our rankings. Changes in search engine ranking happen slowly,
though ....

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.