Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Lally Singh <la...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/28 22:33:48 UTC

Block version problems?

Hey all,  I just did an SVN update on my cocoon dir, and got an old
problem all over again,

NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build

(the whole thing's below)

In my attempts to track down what's causing this, I've rebuilt cocoon
quite a few times, trying to make sure I was getting a clean build of
all this.  One thing bugs me: both the cocoon build and my own
webapp's build keep trying to download modules that are part of cocoon
from apache.snapshots.

Is it possible that some of the various maven subprojects in cocoon
depend on older versions of each other, thusly invoking the download?

I donno, I'm pulling at straws here.  But somethings' gotta be up when
I'm getting the same NoSuchMethodError I got a month ago for a vastly
different source base.

Thanks in advance for your help,
-ls

And as a note, my sincere gratitude for everyone on this list, a
cocoon project wouldn't be doable without you!

2007-03-28 16:26:59.992::WARN:  Nested in
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException:
Unexpected exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource
[/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build(Ljava/io/InputStream;Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/apache/avalon/framework/configuration/Configuration;:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build(Ljava/io/InputStream;Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/apache/avalon/framework/configuration/Configuration;
        at org.apache.cocoon.core.container.spring.avalon.ConfigurationReader.loadURI(ConfigurationReader.java:506)
        at org.apache.cocoon.core.container.spring.avalon.ConfigurationReader.handleInclude(ConfigurationReader.java:458)
        at org.apache.cocoon.core.container.spring.avalon.ConfigurationReader.parseConfiguration(ConfigurationReader.java:304)

RE: Block version problems?

Posted by Bokluci Bokluci <bo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

I'm trying to create pdf page using FO and cocoon.
How can I put the current (creation) date in the pdf?
Thanks In advance.

Vik

Re: Block version problems?

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Lally Singh pisze:

> Ok, Solved.  A dependency on commons-logging caused a dep on
> avalon-framework 4.1.3, which was eventually replaced by
> avalon-framework-impl and avalon-framework-api.  As the artifactIds
> changed, I guess maven couldn't have known that one replaced the
> other. An <exclusions> tag fixed that right up.
>
> Thanks for your help Grzegorz!!!

No problem. For future I suggest to use mvn project-info-reports:dependencies to track down problems
broken dependencies.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Block version problems?

Posted by Lally Singh <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Block version problems?

Posted by Lally Singh <la...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/07, Lally Singh <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/29/07, Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Also please show me pom.xml of your application. If it will not help me
> > with tracking the problem you'll have to mvn -X output and Cocoon's logs
> > but let's try simpler options first.
Would you like to see my mvn -X?

I've tracked it down some.  I updated my applicationContext.xml to
include <avalon:bridge />, and that line invokes the error.  What I
don't get is
that I have ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/avalon/framework/avalon-framework-impl/4.3.1/avalon-framework-impl-4.3.1.jar
in the Classpath Maven lists when I run the app, and I verified that
the required method is in fact in that version of the avalon framework
impl.

Anyone ever hit anything similar?

Re: Block version problems?

Posted by Lally Singh <la...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/07, Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org> wrote:
> Lally Singh napisa�(a):
> > I updated my dependencies from spring 2.0.2 to 2.0.3, spring-core was
> > already listed as a direct dependency.
> >
> > Maven 2.0.5
> > It's an app I created in January, using the blocks available then.
> > Here's a list of what download messages I got when rebuilding my app:
> > <snip/>
>
> Ah, it's normal Maven's behavior to check for updated snapshot artifacts
> in repositories that are defined as being ones that serve snapshot
> versions. You can completely ignore it.
>
> Have you tried to create new block from scratch and find out if it
> works? Go to tools/archetypes and build them before you try to do this.
> Here are instructions:
> http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs-site-main/g2/1159.html.
> Replace -M* versions with SNAPSHOT while following them.
>
> Also please show me pom.xml of your application. If it will not help me
> with tracking the problem you'll have to mvn -X output and Cocoon's logs
> but let's try simpler options first.

Thanks.  A whole new webapp and block worked fine, although they
seemed to just go ahead and download all of cocoon from
repo1.maven.org. E.g.:
Downloading: http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon-pipeline-impl/1.0.0-M1/cocoon-pipeline-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
[WARNING] Unable to get resource
'org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-pipeline-impl:jar:1.0.0-M1' from repository
cocoon.staging (http://people.apache.org/builds/cocoon)
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/cocoon/cocoon-pipeline-impl/1.0.0-M1/cocoon-pipeline-impl-1.0.0-M1.jar
205K downloaded

As for my Pom, I've got 1 parent pom (whole)  & 3 blocks (the rest).
All my complexity's in qgenerator.  cocoonapp.pom's just the app,
dbconnection's an empty skeleton.

Thanks again for your help,

-ls

Re: Block version problems?

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.

Re: Block version problems?

Posted by Lally Singh <la...@gmail.com>.
On 3/28/07, Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org> wrote:
> Lally Singh napisał(a):
> > Hey all,  I just did an SVN update on my cocoon dir, and got an old
> > problem all over again,
> >
> > NoSuchMethodError:
> > org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder.build
> >

> > (the whole thing's below)
> >
> > In my attempts to track down what's causing this, I've rebuilt cocoon
> > quite a few times, trying to make sure I was getting a clean build of
> > all this.  One thing bugs me: both the cocoon build and my own
> > webapp's build keep trying to download modules that are part of cocoon
> > from apache.snapshots.
> >
> > Is it possible that some of the various maven subprojects in cocoon
> > depend on older versions of each other, thusly invoking the download?
> >
> > I donno, I'm pulling at straws here.  But somethings' gotta be up when
> > I'm getting the same NoSuchMethodError I got a month ago for a vastly
> > different source base.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Few questions:
> 1. What Maven version do you use?
> 2. Do you try to run an existing application or have created completely
> new block after update?
> 3. What modules are loaded from apache.snapshots?
>

> Output from mvn with -X option may prove to be helpful but let's try to
> figure out your exact problem first
>
> Also take a look on this[1] and check if something similar does not hit
> you, or let me check...
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.cvs/23846

I updated my dependencies from spring 2.0.2 to 2.0.3, spring-core was
already listed as a direct dependency.

Maven 2.0.5
It's an app I created in January, using the blocks available then.
Here's a list of what download messages I got when rebuilding my app:
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-core:2.2.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.cocoon:cocoon:4-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-pipeline-components:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-pipeline-impl:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking
for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-pipeline-api:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-util:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-xml-api:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-sitemap-components:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-sitemap-impl:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-sitemap-api:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-thread-api:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-xml-resolver:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-xml-impl:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-store-impl:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-thread-impl:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-blocks-fw-impl:1.0.0-M2-SNAPSHOT: checking
for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-template-impl:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking
for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-blocks-modules:4-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-flowscript-impl:1.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT: checking
for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-xsp-impl:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT:
checking for updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-xsp:1-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from apache.snapshot
[INFO] snapshot
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-spring-configurator:1.0.1-SNAPSHOT: checking
for updates from apache.snapshot

Thanks for your help!

Re: Block version problems?

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.