Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com> on 2024/01/12 16:11:01 UTC

[VOTE] enroll Proton and Dispatch in Packit-as-a-Service CI offering from Fedora

I'd like to enable Packit-as-a-Service (
https://github.com/marketplace/packit-as-a-service) for Qpid Proton and
Qpid Dispatch GitHub repositories, so that every new PR gets tested on
Fedora infrastructure (latest released Fedora and Fedora Rawhide).

There are three (gradually more involved) ways to use Packit:

1. use it as a CI system that runs on Fedora (configurable version and
system architecture (x86_64, aarch64). The job steps are incidentally
written in a RPM spec file, but we don't use the produced RPM
2. write the spec in a way that it builds useful RPM, but don't publish the
rpm and don't synchronize the spec file with the spec file that Fedora uses
in its Proton build
3. keep the RPM specs in sync with fedora, when new Proton is released, use
a single packit command to propose spec changes and version upgrade from
the upstream proton spec to Fedora Rawhide

My intention is to get Proton all the way to the third scenario.

There are three steps to do this:

First, if the plan is approved in a vote here, ASF infra will enable the
GitHub integration, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-25349
(authed link)

Then, a RPM spec file needs to be written and committed to the repository.
I volunteer to do that. The Packit CI job will be building from this spec
file. I'd like to place the spec in a packaging/ sub directory, so that
files for other packaging systems can be added later and it does not
clutter the /.

Finally, the spec file should be brought into 1:1 correspondence with the
spec file that Fedora itself uses. This way, changes to Fedora's spec can
be proposed and tested in the ASF project first and then shipped into
Fedora (Rawhide).

Benefits:

* Compilation of Fedora will be tested directly in the GitHub repo and
issues can be fixed right away.
* Packit infrastructure offers arm64 machines, so we can opt into compiling
on arm as well

Supplementary information:

* Packit website: https://packit.dev/
* Packit guide (GitHub integration): https://packit.dev/docs/guide
* Packit-as-a-Service: https://github.com/marketplace/packit-as-a-service
* Fedora wiki page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packit

Thank you,
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Jiri Daněk

Re: [VOTE] enroll Proton and Dispatch in Packit-as-a-Service CI offering from Fedora

Posted by Daniil Kirilyuk <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 1/12/24 11:11, Jiri Daněk wrote:
> I'd like to enable Packit-as-a-Service (
> https://github.com/marketplace/packit-as-a-service) for Qpid Proton and
> Qpid Dispatch GitHub repositories, so that every new PR gets tested on
> Fedora infrastructure (latest released Fedora and Fedora Rawhide).
>
> There are three (gradually more involved) ways to use Packit:
>
> 1. use it as a CI system that runs on Fedora (configurable version and
> system architecture (x86_64, aarch64). The job steps are incidentally
> written in a RPM spec file, but we don't use the produced RPM
> 2. write the spec in a way that it builds useful RPM, but don't publish the
> rpm and don't synchronize the spec file with the spec file that Fedora uses
> in its Proton build
> 3. keep the RPM specs in sync with fedora, when new Proton is released, use
> a single packit command to propose spec changes and version upgrade from
> the upstream proton spec to Fedora Rawhide
>
> My intention is to get Proton all the way to the third scenario.
>
> There are three steps to do this:
>
> First, if the plan is approved in a vote here, ASF infra will enable the
> GitHub integration, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-25349
> (authed link)
>
> Then, a RPM spec file needs to be written and committed to the repository.
> I volunteer to do that. The Packit CI job will be building from this spec
> file. I'd like to place the spec in a packaging/ sub directory, so that
> files for other packaging systems can be added later and it does not
> clutter the /.
>
> Finally, the spec file should be brought into 1:1 correspondence with the
> spec file that Fedora itself uses. This way, changes to Fedora's spec can
> be proposed and tested in the ASF project first and then shipped into
> Fedora (Rawhide).
>
> Benefits:
>
> * Compilation of Fedora will be tested directly in the GitHub repo and
> issues can be fixed right away.
> * Packit infrastructure offers arm64 machines, so we can opt into compiling
> on arm as well
>
> Supplementary information:
>
> * Packit website: https://packit.dev/
> * Packit guide (GitHub integration): https://packit.dev/docs/guide
> * Packit-as-a-Service: https://github.com/marketplace/packit-as-a-service
> * Fedora wiki page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packit
>
> Thank you,

+1

--
Tim Bish

[RESULT][VOTE] enroll Proton and Dispatch in Packit-as-a-Service CI offering from Fedora

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.
There were 5 binding +1 votes, and no other votes received. The vote has
passed.

I will inform ASF infra that work on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-25349 can proceed.

Thanks,

Re: [VOTE] enroll Proton and Dispatch in Packit-as-a-Service CI offering from Fedora

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.
+1

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1