Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Daniel Schneider <Da...@tecfa.unige.ch> on 2002/02/06 00:29:13 UTC

Cocoon 2 + Tomcat 4 + mod_webapp|mod_jk + Apache

Hello, I decided to move from Cocoon 1 to Cocoon 2 (finally) but I
can't do what I did with Cocoon 1 which is SIMPLY TO SHIP a CATEGORY
of XML files from a RANDOM place in an APACHE to Tomcat/Cocoon for
processing.

(1) So I installed C2 and made some simple installation notes:
Installing Cocoon as a webapp either with or without Apache is not so
much of a problem. Both ways I got it to work: Sorry you need a
Mozilla 0.94+ or Opera 6 something browser to read my notes, because I
use XML+CSS since Cocoon2 does not do what I want ;) ;)

   http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/xml/cocoon-pointers.html#section4
Installation of Cocoon 2 / Tomcat 4 / Apache / mod_wepapp on Solaris 8:
   http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/xml/cocoon/install-notes-2-simple.xml
Installation of Cocoon 2 / Tomcat 4 / Apache / mod_jk on Solaris 8:
   http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/xml/cocoon/install-notes-2.xml

(2) Now, I'd like to raise the "FAQ without answer again" before I spend
some more hours (days) on it. Is there a canonical suggested solution
for configuring a global, light, "non-webappish" Cocoon context that
allows shipping of all *.xml (that I call *.sxml on our site) to
Cocoon for simple default processing, sort of like *.php does it ?

That would imply at least reading the XML file and processing its
associated xsl according to its xsl:output method. Means also that
Tomcat has access to all files in the Apache hierarchy and therefore
is disabled as webserver.  Is Cocoon2 not meant anymore for this
simple server-side xml+xslt processing ?

Note: I managed to do this with Cocoon 1, else I wouldn't whine now:
http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/xml/cocoon/install-notes-18.html
It has been running smoothly on a production server for a long time.

But before going after this I'd like to have some advice. I couldn't
find anything except questions like mine and something that is cooking
here maybe: http://galatea.com/flashguides/cocoon-tips-2.xml. But then
I don't want just a minimal Cocoon, I'd like to have a minimal XML
server-side processing engine for the whole Apache Site, but also
subsites à la Servlet 3.2/Cocoon 2 for (future) Cocoonish
applications.

Thanx for any hints !! - Daniel
PS: I will certainly write down any solution and put it on the web

--
Dr Daniel K.Schneider, TECFA (Educational Technologies and Learning)
Faculte de Psychologie et des Sciences de l'Education, University of Geneva,

TECFA - FPSE - Université de Genève
40, Bd. du Pont d'Arve, 1205 Genève
Tel: 41 22 705 9377 - Fax: 41 22 705 9379 - Office#: 6359