Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by james allen <ji...@mail.org> on 2019/01/30 10:51:10 UTC

can I download open office onto a netbook using windows 10s

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

---

Re: can I download open office onto a netbook using windows 10s

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 13:23 30/01/2019 +0100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>On 30/01/2019 11:51, James Allen wrote:
>>can I download open office onto a netbook using windows 10s
>
>You can downloads OpenOffice on any system.
>The real question is will it run on my Netbook?
>
>Check it on: www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo41.html

But there is no mention there of Windows 10 S.

Brian Barker

Re: can I download open office onto a netbook using windows 10s

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 14:26 30/01/2019 +0100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>On 30/01/2019 (and not on 1 January 1970, as claimed!), Brian Barker wrote:
>>>
>>>You can downloads OpenOffice on any system.
>>>The real question is will it run on my Netbook?
>>>
>>>Check it on: www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo41.html
>>
>>But there is no mention there of Windows 10 S.
>
>That's correct but I like to show where users can find the information.

But you miss my point: that there is no information there for anyone
using Windows 10 S.

Brian Barker

Re: can I download open office onto a netbook using windows 10s

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 13:49:17 +0000
Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID> wrote:

> At 14:26 30/01/2019 +0100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> >>But there is no mention there of Windows 10 S.
> >
> >That's correct but I like to show where users can find the information.
>
> But you miss my point: that there is no information there for anyone
> using Windows 10 S.
>
> Brian Barker

If these are old netbooks, with screen resolution of 1024 x 600, then one can install OO, but it really requires a screen of 1024 x 768.  It will run OK on screens of 1366 x 768

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: can I download open office onto a netbook using windows 10s

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 14:32 30/01/2019 +0000, Dave Noname wrote:
>On 30.01.2019 14:22, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

>>>But you miss my point: that there is no information there for
>>>anyone using Windows 10 S.
>>
>>And you missed my point: Question was if he can download OpenOffice
>>on his Netbook. On the website there is no mention of Windows 10S
>>which tells me that it isn't officially supported.

I didn't miss that point, as you didn't make that point! (And it
doesn't complete the story.)

>Neither screen resolution or memory are the issues here.
>
>How Is Windows 10 S Different?
>The biggest difference in Windows 10 S is that can only run apps
>downloaded from the Windows Store.
>
>So unless AOO is added to the Windows Store, or the OP can switch
>out of S Mode, the answer to his question is NO.

Windows 10 S, now replaced by Windows 10 in S mode, can indeed
install only applications from the Microsoft Store. But users can
switch out of S mode at no cost; see
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode
. So the answer is apparently "yes" (subject to system specification).

Brian Barker

Re: can I download open office onto a netbook using windows 10s

Posted by Dave AOO <ao...@tasit.net>.
On 30.01.2019 14:22, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 30/01/2019 14:49, Brian Barker wrote:
>> At 14:26 30/01/2019 +0100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

>>> That's correct but I like to show where users can find the information.
>>
>> But you miss my point: that there is no information there for anyone
>> using Windows 10 S.
>
> And you missed my point: Question was if he can download OpenOffice on
> his Netbook.
> On the website there is no mention of Windows 10S which tells me that it
> isn't officially
> supported. It is possible that it runs but I will not advice because
> most netbooks have only 2GB memory and 32-64GB storage.
>

>> Brian Barker

Neither screen resolution or memory are the issues here.

How Is Windows 10 S Different?
The biggest difference in Windows 10 S is that can only run apps
downloaded from the Windows Store.

So unless AOO is added to the Windows Store, or the OP can switch out of
S Mode, the answer to his question is NO.

Dave

Re: can I download open office onto a netbook using windows 10s

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Re:

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi James,

no, sorry. Having "Windows 10s" you are bound the software available
from the Microsoft store.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4023899/windows-10-s-apps-not-install.

Kind regards
Regina