Posted to user@syncope.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/17 16:35:07 UTC

Debian packaging for Syncope

Hello,

I've taken some time to build Debian packages for Apache Syncope Core
and Console. You can find the project on my github [1].

It reduces the work needed to install Syncope Core and Console to a
few commands. It also makes it easy to upgrade from version to
version.

I also have some feedback to improve Syncope Core - make
security.properties path configurable so when you deploy into
production you can change the admin password/user name without
rebuilding. As I write the email, a thought comes to mind: If the
admin password can be changed later in the database, please document
this feature.

Like all good debian web applications, components will use:

 * /var/log/apache-syncope - to store logs
 * /var/lib/apache-syncope - to store extra files (connector bundles
uder bundles directory)
 * /etc/apache-syncope     - to store application configuration
 * /usr/share/apache-syncope - to store application data that does not change

Details on how to install the application are in the README files.

Feedback is more than welcomed.

Other suggestions/questions:

* Active Directory has (by my knowledge) a 'default' schema described
in RFC 2307 [2]. Samba4 can be provisioned with this schema easily. It
would be great if things (managing, synchronisation) would Just Work
if you supply a host name, bind dn and password. Things might not be
that simple, but I guess it's possible to provide such a
configuration. jenkins AD plugin does.

* keep on the good work ;)

* I would like to see the work upstream if possible.

[1] https://github.com/ieugen/apache-syncope-debian
[2] http://www.rfc-base.org/rfc-2307.html
[3] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Active+Directory+plugin

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
0720 898 747

Re: Debian packaging for Syncope

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ioan,

thanks for the update.

Your improvements make sense and we will take a look.

Regards
JB

On 07/17/2014 04:35 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've taken some time to build Debian packages for Apache Syncope Core
> and Console. You can find the project on my github [1].
>
> It reduces the work needed to install Syncope Core and Console to a
> few commands. It also makes it easy to upgrade from version to
> version.
>
> I also have some feedback to improve Syncope Core - make
> security.properties path configurable so when you deploy into
> production you can change the admin password/user name without
> rebuilding. As I write the email, a thought comes to mind: If the
> admin password can be changed later in the database, please document
> this feature.
>
> Like all good debian web applications, components will use:
>
>   * /var/log/apache-syncope - to store logs
>   * /var/lib/apache-syncope - to store extra files (connector bundles
> uder bundles directory)
>   * /etc/apache-syncope     - to store application configuration
>   * /usr/share/apache-syncope - to store application data that does not change
>
> Details on how to install the application are in the README files.
>
> Feedback is more than welcomed.
>
> Other suggestions/questions:
>
> * Active Directory has (by my knowledge) a 'default' schema described
> in RFC 2307 [2]. Samba4 can be provisioned with this schema easily. It
> would be great if things (managing, synchronisation) would Just Work
> if you supply a host name, bind dn and password. Things might not be
> that simple, but I guess it's possible to provide such a
> configuration. jenkins AD plugin does.
>
> * keep on the good work ;)
>
> * I would like to see the work upstream if possible.
>
> [1] https://github.com/ieugen/apache-syncope-debian
> [2] http://www.rfc-base.org/rfc-2307.html
> [3] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Active+Directory+plugin

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Debian packaging for Syncope

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello Francesco,

On 18.07.2014 11:21, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> Hi Ioan,
> I've taken a quick look and it looks very cool - especially for a
> long-time Debian lover as I am ;-)
>
> When you say "I would like to see the work upstream if possible", do you
> mean that it is your intention to donate the code to Apache Syncope?
> Let's discuss this and more at dev@:
>
> http://syncope-dev.1063484.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Debian-packages-td5715673.html

I wasn't subscribed to dev list so I can post there only after another
reply.

My answer is yes, I would like to 'donate' the code. 'donate' sounds
very strange since I am committer for Apache James and I consider all
work done for Apache projects as contribution.

I would also like, as time permits to improve it. I've created a JIRA
[1] and I can supply a patch, depending on where you wish to put the
packaging. I presume it's best to be part of the build (as profile
enabled on release or on demand)

We can continue the conversation on dev after I get a reply there.

Regards,

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-535

Re: Debian packaging for Syncope

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioan,
I've taken a quick look and it looks very cool - especially for a
long-time Debian lover as I am ;-)

When you say "I would like to see the work upstream if possible", do you
mean that it is your intention to donate the code to Apache Syncope?
Let's discuss this and more at dev@:

http://syncope-dev.1063484.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Debian-packages-td5715673.html

See you there.
Regards.

On 17/07/2014 16:35, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've taken some time to build Debian packages for Apache Syncope Core
> and Console. You can find the project on my github [1].
>
> It reduces the work needed to install Syncope Core and Console to a
> few commands. It also makes it easy to upgrade from version to
> version.
>
> I also have some feedback to improve Syncope Core - make
> security.properties path configurable so when you deploy into
> production you can change the admin password/user name without
> rebuilding. As I write the email, a thought comes to mind: If the
> admin password can be changed later in the database, please document
> this feature.
>
> Like all good debian web applications, components will use:
>
>   * /var/log/apache-syncope - to store logs
>   * /var/lib/apache-syncope - to store extra files (connector bundles
> uder bundles directory)
>   * /etc/apache-syncope     - to store application configuration
>   * /usr/share/apache-syncope - to store application data that does not change
>
> Details on how to install the application are in the README files.
>
> Feedback is more than welcomed.
>
> Other suggestions/questions:
>
> * Active Directory has (by my knowledge) a 'default' schema described
> in RFC 2307 [2]. Samba4 can be provisioned with this schema easily. It
> would be great if things (managing, synchronisation) would Just Work
> if you supply a host name, bind dn and password. Things might not be
> that simple, but I guess it's possible to provide such a
> configuration. jenkins AD plugin does.
>
> * keep on the good work ;)
>
> * I would like to see the work upstream if possible.
>
> [1] https://github.com/ieugen/apache-syncope-debian
> [2] http://www.rfc-base.org/rfc-2307.html
> [3] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Active+Directory+plugin

--