Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nitin Bhadauria <ni...@tetrain.com> on 2008/08/04 13:34:18 UTC

Lottery spam in my inbox

Hi frnds.

How is it possible that these kind of mail are not spam tagged my
sapmassassin.......

CONGRATULATION YOU HAVE WON 850.000.POUNDS(REPLY TO
tntexpresscourierserviceworld@gmail.com)
ftp://195.169.149.102/tt/WON.txt

YOUR REF:CLAIMS/ATM/822 .........
ftp://195.169.149.102/tt/ATM.txt

please help me out...............

Thanks
Nitin Bhadauria

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 20:50 -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, and I know perfectly well what BAYES_50 is
> *supposed* to mean for *most* people.  This may not be a smart move for
> you, but it works remarkably well for us.  False positives (which, to be
> clear, are seldom) can be found in a user's spam folder; there are a
> number of other idiosyncrasies that are off-topic here.  In any case, I
> understand how SA works and acknowledge the implications of fiddling with
> the rules.  TIMTOWDI.  Thank you.

Hehe, well then, never mind. :)

I just was reminded about a similar story. I've seen users raise
BAYES_50, because they did not understand what it meant. Anyway, since
you seem to be perfectly aware of what you are doing, I'm glad it works
for you.

  guenther

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>.

--
Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 20:25 -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> Karsten Br?ckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de> wrote:
>
> > Hmm... Sahil, Nitin -- guys, you are seriously confusing me.
>
> I am perplexed by your confusion, but I will try to help you.

My confusion stems from different, almost random results all over the
place. That, or you guys have been talking about one spam, but posted
results of another. ;)

(To remind you: One single piece of spam. Three different results of
static RE rules.)

> > Sahil, this is just odd. The examples *do* have the HB_SEP blank line. I
> > guess your download broke or something, but these rules don't apply to
> > the given spamples.
>
> I have no idea re: HB*; perhaps as you suggest, something did "break"
> during the wget.
>
> > Even worse, your rules hit account for a total score of 7.032. Might I
> > ask which rules scores you changed?
>
> What do you even mean by "worse"?  People tweak rules in local.cf.  To
> satiate your curiosity (sorry for the wrapping):

Sorry, you are right of course. That word sneaked in, because I had a
gut feeling...

> 	*      [score: 0.5001]

Bingo!  That's *exactly* what I guessed...

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>.
Karsten Br?ckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de> wrote:

> Hmm... Sahil, Nitin -- guys, you are seriously confusing me.

I am perplexed by your confusion, but I will try to help you.

> Sahil, this is just odd. The examples *do* have the HB_SEP blank line. I
> guess your download broke or something, but these rules don't apply to
> the given spamples.

I have no idea re: HB*; perhaps as you suggest, something did "break"
during the wget.

> Even worse, your rules hit account for a total score of 7.032. Might I
> ask which rules scores you changed?

What do you even mean by "worse"?  People tweak rules in local.cf.  To
satiate your curiosity (sorry for the wrapping):

	*  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
	*  2.0 BAYES_50 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
	*      [score: 0.5001]
	*  0.7 MPART_ALT_DIFF BODY: HTML and text parts are different
	*  2.1 MISSING_MIME_HB_SEP BODY: Missing blank line between MIME
header and
	*       body
	*  2.1 HTML_MISSING_CTYPE Message is HTML without HTML
Content-Type

--
Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 12:00 +0530, Nitin Bhadauria wrote:
> Sahil Tandon wrote:

> yes i did train the sa data by

Nitin, neither of your headers shows *any* BAYES_XX hit. Whatever you
trained doesn't seem to be the user SA runs as.

> > > ftp://195.169.149.102/tt/ATM.txt
> >
> > Sending MX is blacklisted on dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net; message also caught
> > by SA:

> > 	autolearn=no version=3.2.5

Sahil, this is just odd. The examples *do* have the HB_SEP blank line. I
guess your download broke or something, but these rules don't apply to
the given spamples.

Even worse, your rules hit account for a total score of 7.032. Might I
ask which rules scores you changed?

>         SPF_PASS autolearn=no version=3.2.4

Nitin, this isn't the same result as your original scan. Whatever that
is, it is a different mail.

Care to clear the confusion? :)

  guenther

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Nitin Bhadauria <ni...@tetrain.com>.
Sahil Tandon wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2008, at 7:32, Nitin Bhadauria <ni...@tetrain.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Jens Kleikamp wrote:

>>> If you would read the website of uceproject you would know that it
>>> is really not recommended to use the level 3 Blacklist to block
>>> mails at the mta layer.
>>>
>>> They recommend 1 and 2 for strict blocks and level 3 for scoring
>>> systems.
>>>
>> so want me to add this rbl check in spamassassin .........
>>>

> Neither of us said that. Just making you aware of these things. It is
> your call.

Thank you sir .....

can you tell me how can i get mails from mydomain through to
spamassassin. With out whitlisting......

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>.

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Nitin Bhadauria <ni...@tetrain.com>.

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Jens Kleikamp <je...@codes-concepts.com>.

Re: Lottery spam in my inbox

Posted by Nitin Bhadauria <ni...@tetrain.com>.
Sahil Tandon wrote:
> Nitin Bhadauria <ni...@tetrain.com> wrote:
>

>> How is it possible that these kind of mail are not spam tagged my
>> sapmassassin.......
>>

> Do you train SA's bayes database?  Do you use RBL checks?  Do you use
> ClamAV with stock and SaneSecurity signatures?

yes i did train the sa data by

|sa-learn --showdots -C /etc/mail/spamassassin --spam
/var/spool/mail/virtual//quarantine/.spam//*

and here is my postfix checks...

reject_non_fqdn_hostname,  reject_non_fqdn_sender,
reject_non_fqdn_recipient,  reject_unknown_sender_domain,
reject_unknown_recipient_domain,  reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org,  reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
reject_rbl_client dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net

and if u suggest i may add  |dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net too.

And yes i don't have clamav with SaneSecurity signatures but yes i am
going to use it from now..

http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/usage.htm

>> CONGRATULATION YOU HAVE WON 850.000.POUNDS(REPLY TO
>> tntexpresscourierserviceworld@gmail.com)
>> ftp://195.169.149.102/tt/WON.txt
>>

> The sending MX is listed on several DNSBLs, among them sorbs and ahbl;
> also caught by ClamAV: Email.ScamL.Gen711.Sanesecurity.08062506.
>

>> YOUR REF:CLAIMS/ATM/822 .........
>> ftp://195.169.149.102/tt/ATM.txt
>>

> Sending MX is blacklisted on dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net; message also caught
> by SA:

> HTML_MISSING_CTYPE,MISSING_MIME_HB_SEP,MPART_ALT_DIFF,SUBJ_ALL_CAPS
> 	autolearn=no version=3.2.5

Here is my spam-status.................

        SPF_PASS autolearn=no version=3.2.4

Thanks for the help...