Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org> on 2012/11/22 19:25:38 UTC

HBase 0.94.x vs Hadoop 2.0.x?

Hi,

Is HBase 0.94.x running with Hadoop 2.0.x?

I saw that 0.96.0 will be, but I was wondering for 0.94.x...

Thanks,

JM

Re: HBase 0.94.x vs Hadoop 2.0.x?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
You'd have to recompile against a proper target and produce your own
tarball. I guess binary artifacts would begin shipping with 0.96
onwards.

>From the root of a 0.94.x release tarball, try Elliot's command from
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.hadoop.hbase.user/30163:

$ mvn clean package assembly:assembly -DskipTests -Dhadoop.profile=2.0

--
Harsh J

Re: HBase 0.94.x vs Hadoop 2.0.x?

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Re: HBase 0.94.x vs Hadoop 2.0.x?

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
On 11/22/2012 02:35 PM, Harsh J wrote:
> Marcos makes a good point btw - Move from 1.x to 2.x also involves
> recompiling your existing MR apps (if they are already built with
> maven, thats not too much work to do). But other than a few obvious
> issues caught by the java compiler, the APIs remain the same.
Good to know, Harsh.

> Marcos - response inline:
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu> wrote:
> <snip>
>> So, it's means that, it's good to think to upgrade first all your applications from
>> Hadoop 1.x to Hadoop 2.x if you want to keep updated with HBase?
> Yes, the MR jobs and other apps would need to be recompiled along with this.
>
>> Where I can find the Development roadmap for HBase 0.96?
> Am unsure of a formal location for this. Perhaps a dev can comment. I
> merely try to follow as many JIRAs as I can. I do know snapshots and
> protobuf RPCs are some of the major work being done for this version,
> but others would probably know better.
It would be nice a official site for this.
For example, in the PostgreSQL Development process, the main developers
publishes an entry
in the wiki for every planed release. For example, for the last version
(9.2), look here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.2_Development_Plan

and for the current development branch, look here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.3_Development_Plan

It would be to follow a similar principal with HBase: having an entry in
the wiki where you
see which are the planed JIRAs to solve, or new features to include for
a new release, like
0.96 for example.

What do you think?
Best wishes

> <snip>
>
> --
> Harsh J

> http://www.uci.cu

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci

Re: HBase 0.94.x vs Hadoop 2.0.x?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Re: HBase 0.94.x vs Hadoop 2.0.x?

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
On 11/22/2012 01:49 PM, Harsh J wrote:
> HBase 0.92+ onwards has had support for Apache Hadoop 2.x+ along with
> Apache Hadoop 1.x.
>
> The note on the web manual says that:
>
> "As of Apache HBase 0.96.x, Apache Hadoop 1.0.x at least is required.
> We will no longer run properly on older Hadoops such as 0.20.205 or
> branch-0.20-append. Do not move to Apache HBase 0.96.x if you cannot
> upgrade your Hadoop[10].
>
> Apache HBase 0.96.0 runs on Apache Hadoop 2.0."
>
> Which means, starting with 0.96, only 2.x Hadoop will be supported and
> support for 1.x or older Hadoop versions will be dropped (or will not
> be "properly supported").
So, it's means that, it's good to think to upgrade first all your
applications from
Hadoop 1.x to Hadoop 2.x if you want to keep updated with HBase?

Where I can find the Development roadmap for HBase 0.96?
Thanks

Re: HBase 0.94.x vs Hadoop 2.0.x?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--