Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/03/13 09:58:05 UTC

[PROPOSAL] X64 and libraries.

Hi All.

As you know I started working on Qt for a desktop editor, and found out we
need the 64bit port, so I switched to do that.

I am now at a state where 64bit for windows, seems to be working, BUT

I had to find and download 64bit versions of all our external libraries,
these come as .7z files, which means we would have to extend the extract
bat file.

I know we will will also need some Qt libraries and possible also a JS
framework (for the webapp) so I am questioning if it is sustainable that we
keep maintaining our scripted download.

Apache used to have a place at google called apache_extras (will be
terminated in a matter of days), it is now being replaced with another
place. Apache_extras is a good place to keep these externals in a form
(original+lib/include) so developers simply download that as one package.

I would like to make a zip package that contains:
- original library files (zip, 7z etc)
- A text file telling from where they were downloaded
- files unpacked in our directory structure (externals/*)

We can later make similar packages for MacOS, linux etc. where needed.

I would put that zip file up on our web page until the situation with
apache_extras is cleared (unless Andrea believes the SF version is stable).

Thoughts ?
rgds
jan I.

Re: [PROPOSAL] X64 and libraries.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 13/03/2015 jan i wrote:
> I would put that zip file up on our web page until the situation with
> apache_extras is cleared (unless Andrea believes the SF version is stable).

It may take some days for it to be official, but OpenOffice has used it
for months and it is OK as a repository. I believe all one needs to do
is simply to create a project on SourceForge and put the tarballs in its
files area. Then the fact that the created project is to appear in the
new Apache Extras is probably configurable from some SourceForge
administrators.

That said, the number of source downloads in this phase is probably
still low enough for hosting the Corinthia tarballs on ASF hardware.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: [PROPOSAL] X64 and libraries.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
For Windows builds with Visual Studio (or at least the VC++ compiler), it may be an useful alternative to have the user install the externals that are available via NuGet.  See <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/02/13/find-your-favorite-library-for-c-in-nuget.aspx>.

I don't know what is on your list.  It would be interesting to check what is available.

With regard to setting up Apache Externals somewhere, I would suggest that there is no need to provide the original download inside of the Zip that has the external/* if you can provide a stable link to where it is obtained.  If this is inside the external/* material, along with any necessary license information, that should allow a common download and extraction procedure for all of them, perhaps a simplification of the current script logic for Windows.

Having a place to store those is going to be a problem while obtaining a new location for this kind of archiving is established.  It might be preferable to provide them on a committer account until that is handled.

 - Dennis