Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2004/11/04 04:58:11 UTC

Ant Build - BeanUtils / Digester versions

I've updated the Ant build to remove Commons Collections.

To use the new build you need to:

* get the latest Ant build files from SVN (i.e. build.xml, build-tests.xml
and build-webapp.xml)

* Upgrade to version 1.7.0 of Commons BeanUtils

* Upgrade to version 1.6 of Commons Digester

To upgrade to the new Commons versions either drop the jars (i.e beanutils
and digester jars) into the appropriate place on your machine or change your
build.properties to point to the new jars locations.

Because of compatibility problems between Collections 2.1 and Collections
3.0 - it was decided to remove the dependency of Commons BeanUtils/Digester
on Commons Collections by copying the few classes they used into BeanUtils -
so the BeanUtils jar now contains those collections classes. By upgrading
Struts's dependencies to the latest versions of BeanUtils/Digester, means we
can also remove Strut's dependency on Collections.

BeanUtils 1.7.0 now has three jars to choose from:

* commons-beanutils.jar - contains everything

* commons-beanutils-bean-collections.jar - contains only classes which
require Commons Collections (i.e. BeanComparator, BeanMap, BeanPredicate
etc)

* commons-beanutils-core.jar - everything except the classes that require
Commons Collections (i.e. those in commons-beanutils-bean-collections.jar )

Personally I think we should be building/distributing with
commons-beanutils-core.jar since we don't require the Collections dependant
classes - if thats agreed then all that needs doing is to set the
build.properties to point to that jar, i.e. something like...

commons-beanutils.jar=${commons-lib.home}/commons-beanutils-core.jar

Niall