Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Arun Kumar Raj Voruganti <vo...@imagediagnost.de> on 2010/06/24 15:01:06 UTC

Using Thrift in Visual Studio 2008

Hi All,

I want to use Thrift in visual studio 2008 c++ projects. Did someone already
compile Thrift with Visual Studio?

As far I understood from the requirements in Wiki, It is only possible to
compile the projects with Cygwin or MinGW. I use neither of them to compile
my projects.

Any help in this regard is appreciated J

Arun Voruganti

RE: Using Thrift in Visual Studio 2008

Posted by James King <Ja...@Dell.com>.
To resolve the clunkiness: On your windows development system set up a
Cygwin environment and build the compiler.  Then download the patch in
Jira issue 740 and integrate it into your Visual Studio 2008 development
environment.  You can then add .thrift files into the IDE and they will
auto-compile into C# code.  You do not have to force everyone to install
Cygwin and build the Thrift compiler; if you put the compiler and a few
DLLs into a well-known place then everybody on your team can use Jira
patch 740 and treat .thrift files natively in the IDE.

- Jim

Posted by Andrew Zimmer <an...@broadinstitute.org>.

Posted by Vinithra Varadharajan <vi...@cloudera.com>.
I recently built the runtime DLLs and LIBs on Windows with Visual Studio
2008, boost 1.42 and zlib-1.2.4.

I initially tried (very hard) to build them using MinGW, Visual Studio 2010,
and the MsvcPatchSupportScripts attached to Thrift-591 but ran into all
sorts of problems. I finally got it to work by following the instructions in
thrift-818530/msvc/README. I also had to use the --with-pstdint configure
option and am using pstdint.h and defining WITH_PSTDINT_H in apps that use
the Thrift libs. However, I ran into issues building and running some of the
tests, some of which other people online had run into as well.

While we're on the topic, have any of you tried building the contrib/fb303
project on Windows?

Thanks,
Vinithra

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Gary M Mann <ga...@mann.uk.net>.
I've used it and it works well enough for me. I'm using VS 2005 and Boost 1.42 with STLport 5.1. Given the maturity of asio now, it begs the question why shouldn't asio be used on all c++ platforms.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Rush Manbert <ru...@manbert.com>.

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Re: AW: Using Thrift in Visual Studio 2008

Posted by Rush Manbert <ru...@manbert.com>.
Hi Arun,

That's good to hear. I hope you have good luck with it.

I'm going to post separately about this, but I just attached a zip file to 591 that contains 3 files. You should replace your patched files with these. They fix a couple of bugs that we have discovered while using the code.

Best regards,
Rush

Posted by Rush Manbert <ru...@manbert.com>.

Posted by Michael Walsh <mi...@michael.ie>.