Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "P.Marek" <pm...@cpan.org> on 2003/05/21 15:03:35 UTC

Re: saving time stamps - Question

Hello everybody,

I finally made it so include the mtime in the item->wcprop_changes array
(svn_client/commit_util.c, do_item_commit()).

But that doesn't work as a few lines after my change the file .svn/wcprops/ is
synced with the repository; as I include the property currently only in the
item->wcprop_changes, it isn't written into the repository. (there's another
problem: I had to create the property-files with len 0 to avoid an error
while transmitting in svn_io_copy_file()).

So, where's the best place and what's the best strategy to set this property?
I assume writing an (empty) property on update/checkout is the easiest
solution; is there a better one?
I also think that simply overwriting that value isn't good; if the user wants
to set another file-time he should be able to. But that could possibly be
done by using "touch" ... Hm.

Any ideas? Help please??

Thanks a lot!

Re: saving time stamps - Question

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"P.Marek" <pm...@cpan.org> writes:
> > This is for a specific issue, right?  Umm... is it issue #1162?  Or
> > #1256?  (Hard to prioritize without knowing the goal.)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -K
> It's issue #1256.

Thanks.

Issue #1256 is marked as a Post-1.0 enhancement -- that's probably why
you're not getting much feedback.  I hope someone can take an interest
and give you some code review, but can't guarantee that will happen.
For an issue of such relatively low priority, it's just hard to
justify the time right now.

Sorry, I know that's probably disappointing, but then again, you
picked the issue :-).

-Karl

Re: saving time stamps - Question

Posted by "P.Marek" <pm...@cpan.org>.
> This is for a specific issue, right?  Umm... is it issue #1162?  Or
> #1256?  (Hard to prioritize without knowing the goal.)
>
> Thanks,
> -K
It's issue #1256. My problem is, that svn syncs the *file* with the properties
to the repository, not the internal data structures; so I'd have to modify
the property file, which is inelegant, slow (1) and error-prone.

1) setting the property via modifying the .svn/props/ file, if it is done via
the "normal" functions, results in a complete reading of the file (although
the values are in memory at this time), appending to the memory data
structures, writing a temporary file, chmod()ing the property file, renaming
the temporary file to the correct name, chmod()ing the file.
I'd like to avoid that overhead, but it seems to be not easy.

I understand and acknowlege that it's much simpler (and therefore *better*) to
have a single synchronize-call, which is used everywhere, for data files and
properties.

So I ask if there's a simple solution, which avoids doing the equivalent of
"svn st", setting svn:text-time on every file, and then calling "svn ci".

Maybe I can send a property change at the end of the file-stream (but before
the file's data)?? I think of svn_client__do_commit() in the first loop.

Comments??

#1256?  (Hard to prioritize without knowing the goal.)

Thanks,
-K